Rooms Manager: Smarter Rooms: Personalized home automation with Occupancy

rooms
manager
occupancy
rules
automation

@bangali, I have my master bedroom setup with a piston rule for each of vacant, occupied and asleep States and am finding that the vacant piston is being executed every 15 minutes by the room when the room is either vacant or asleep. Running it every 15 minutes wouldnt be a huge issue for vacant, but it is problematic for asleep mode.

Any thoughts as to why this might be happening? I have the logs showing that the room calls the vacant piston every 15 minutes on the dot.

every 15 mins the rules are reevaluated to set the right level, color temperature etc based on the various conditions. if there is a vacant rule that will get executed every 15 mins resulting in the piston being run every 15 mins.

Ahh, that explains it! Shouldn’t vacant rules not get run when the room is in asleep mode?

is it running the vacant rule or is there an asleep rule with a piston?

I think I need to dive into the logs again. Perhaps something is changing the room back to vacant after it is set to asleep. Thanks for solving the 15 minute mystery!

btw, i am also going to update the logic so only the switches are updated every 15 mins not the pistons or music or shades etc.

thanks.

That’s a good move, thanks.

thanks though debating on the shades. should the shades reset back to the rule value if someone changes it or stay as is. thats the question.

may be some user with shades will jump in with their feedback.

one thing that has been on my mind for some time is that the rooms occupancy device display while it presents a bunch of information it does in a rather cryptic way. while this probably works for seasoned users it may not be quite as friendly for new users.

so on that note how do folks feel about the layout below?

• updated to latest on the repo and why is it still the old layout?
  • dang it bangali dont you have better things to do?

0 voters

first screen:

and if you scroll up:

note: there may be a couple of things i have to add / update but this is pretty close to what it would be like after the change.

UPDATE: updated version 0.11.0 to github with the following changes:

*  Version: 0.11.0
*   DONE:   2/1/2018
*   1) added support for time announce function. straightforward annoucement for now but likely to get fancier ;-)
*   2) added rule name to display in rules page.
*   3) added support for power value stays below a certain number of seconds before triggering engaged or asleep.
*   4) added support for vacant switch. except this sets room to vacant when turned OFF not ON.
*   5) changed speaker device to music player in the rooms setup.
*   6) added support in rules to control window shade.

@bangali - Thanks for the addition of the vacant switch!

Ive been investigating the cause of my master bedroom changing to vacant shortly after setting it to asleep and I think I may have discovered that it’s related to a room setting that may not be behaving as intended.

Here’s the scenario:

• The Room has piston based rules for each of Occupied, Vacant, and Asleep and it has two of its light switches configured in the “Occupied Settings : Switch Turns On” setting.

• When the Room is set to asleep, the asleep piston fires and turns off all the lights, including the lights configured in the “Occupied Settings : Switch Turns On” setting. The log then seems to indicate that the switch off event for these lights triggers a switch to vacant action for the room, taking it out of asleep state.

I hope this makes sense. Thoughts?

good news app is doing exactly what it should. this circular action was bound to show up at some point. congratulations on being the first! :slight_smile:

let me think about it a bit. any suggetions?

thanks.

Well, actually, I do have a suggestion. Now that you have added a separate “Switch changes to vacant” setting, the “Switch changes to occupied” setting no longer needs to perform double duty - it could only switch to occupied - as the name suggests - and the new setting for “switch changes to vacant” could take care of the turn off?

its fixed. update from repo please and give it a try.

Hmmm, ok, just realized the folly in my logic - doesn’t change anything really!

Let me try that again. Perhaps the “switch changes to vacant when turned off” should not apply when the room is asleep - thereby preventing the recursion?

see this: :slight_smile:

Got it, will do, thanks!

Looks like there may be an issue in room manager configuration. Attempting to save a room, can’t get past the last page on “Speaker Settings” as I have no devices that qualify for the list and it is requiring an entry.

and there are no others settings specified on the rooms manager settings page?

thanks.