Rooms Manager: Smarter Rooms: Personalized home automation with Occupancy

rooms
manager
occupancy
rules
automation

one thing that has been on my mind for some time is that the rooms occupancy device display while it presents a bunch of information it does in a rather cryptic way. while this probably works for seasoned users it may not be quite as friendly for new users.

so on that note how do folks feel about the layout below?

• updated to latest on the repo and why is it still the old layout?
  • dang it bangali dont you have better things to do?

0 voters

first screen:

and if you scroll up:

note: there may be a couple of things i have to add / update but this is pretty close to what it would be like after the change.

UPDATE: updated version 0.11.0 to github with the following changes:

*  Version: 0.11.0
*   DONE:   2/1/2018
*   1) added support for time announce function. straightforward annoucement for now but likely to get fancier ;-)
*   2) added rule name to display in rules page.
*   3) added support for power value stays below a certain number of seconds before triggering engaged or asleep.
*   4) added support for vacant switch. except this sets room to vacant when turned OFF not ON.
*   5) changed speaker device to music player in the rooms setup.
*   6) added support in rules to control window shade.

@bangali - Thanks for the addition of the vacant switch!

Ive been investigating the cause of my master bedroom changing to vacant shortly after setting it to asleep and I think I may have discovered that it’s related to a room setting that may not be behaving as intended.

Here’s the scenario:

• The Room has piston based rules for each of Occupied, Vacant, and Asleep and it has two of its light switches configured in the “Occupied Settings : Switch Turns On” setting.

• When the Room is set to asleep, the asleep piston fires and turns off all the lights, including the lights configured in the “Occupied Settings : Switch Turns On” setting. The log then seems to indicate that the switch off event for these lights triggers a switch to vacant action for the room, taking it out of asleep state.

I hope this makes sense. Thoughts?

good news app is doing exactly what it should. this circular action was bound to show up at some point. congratulations on being the first! :slight_smile:

let me think about it a bit. any suggetions?

thanks.

Well, actually, I do have a suggestion. Now that you have added a separate “Switch changes to vacant” setting, the “Switch changes to occupied” setting no longer needs to perform double duty - it could only switch to occupied - as the name suggests - and the new setting for “switch changes to vacant” could take care of the turn off?

its fixed. update from repo please and give it a try.

Hmmm, ok, just realized the folly in my logic - doesn’t change anything really!

Let me try that again. Perhaps the “switch changes to vacant when turned off” should not apply when the room is asleep - thereby preventing the recursion?

see this: :slight_smile:

Got it, will do, thanks!

Looks like there may be an issue in room manager configuration. Attempting to save a room, can’t get past the last page on “Speaker Settings” as I have no devices that qualify for the list and it is requiring an entry.

and there are no others settings specified on the rooms manager settings page?

thanks.

Only Announce from and announce to hours - which also require an entry

none of those should be required. please update from repo and give it a try.

thanks.

All good now… and the recursion issue with asleep/vacant on turn off is also fixed! Thanks for the lightning fast turnaround!

New to all this, and just found this smartapp.

In installed from the repo and I get an “Error Saving Page” every time I try to save the room. Can someone point me in the right direction to get started?

The only thing I can find in the log is
warn Exception ‘java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: toIndex = 5’ encountered parsing ‘cmd: 600D, payload: 02 00 82 01’

did you save and publish the DTH and both smartapps from the repo?

when first creating the room give it a name and save it. then go back into the room and edit it to configure with devices and settings.

does that help with the issue?

I missed the DTH. Thank you.

With this app, can I, for example, set a dimmer to 50% while occupied and 10% while VACANT, but only if the LUX level is below a threshold and only during select location modes?

In other words, I want to maintain a minimum during dawn and dusk, but not while the location mode is SLEEP and not while there’s enough ambient light through the windows. I’ve had some difficulty figuring out how do that… how/when to apply rules, etc.

sure you can. create 2 rules:

1. state = occupied; lux = xxx; switches on; level = 50%
  2. state = vacant; mode = mode1, mode2; lux = yyy; switches on; level = 10%;

on the second rule you can also specify time window of sunset to sunrise and either skip the mode or include the mode as well.

you will need to specify other settings like motion sensor, timeouts, lux sensor etc but those would be the 2 rules needed.

if you have other questions please feel free to ask.