Rooms Manager: Smarter Rooms: Personalized home automation with Occupancy

rooms
manager
occupancy
rules
automation

@bangali above you have somehow set your holiday lights piston to a switch. If you don’t mind me asking how have you done that?

Also your holiday lights piston has its own turn on/off schedule. Now your using your outdoor room light scheudle to control the lights, instead of the holiday lights scheudle, again if you don’t mind how have you done that.

Until you mentioned yesterday or the day before that you had configured outdoors as an entity I wouldn’t have thought in that context and the next thing I was wondering was how to link in your holiday lights piston :blush:

right now my local holiday piston is modified to execute when a virtual switch turns on and stop when the switch turns off. :smile:

when i originally started this i was writing it as a custom one off for myself. there are things in that version that are not yet in the public version. one of that is the capability to execute a piston. once i bring that functionality over even turning on the switch will no longer be needed any more. :smile:

UPDATE: updated version 0.07.3 to github with the following changes:

*  Version: 0.07.3
*   DONE:   12/2/2017
*   1) added support for executing piston instead of just turning on a light
*   2) added view all settings
*   3) added room device indicators to the room device so they can be seen in one place
*   4) added timer to room which counts down in increments of 5
*   5) some bug fixes

btw, the new room device indicator has a easter egg. see if you can find it. :wink:

updated on github with a quick version of the execute piston feature. now it can execute the holiday piston or any other piston and/or turn on some switches based on a rule.

I finished up the settings explanations. If i missed anything or it isnt clear let met know!
@bangali can you add the explanations to the first post?

https://community.webcore.co/t/rooms-manager-smartapps-and-rooms-occupancy-dth-now-with-support-for-rules/1813/110?u=johhnwilliam

done! thanks @johhnwilliam

Want to preface this post by telling you how much I love this app! It has changed my lighting setup within my house dramatically and I am looking forward to the future development.

I have a random question pertaining to room states and action tiles. Is it possible to get the room states to show up as a tile? For example, I made a lightning panel (Screen shot below) and would like to replace the motion sensor output with the actual room occupancy information (Occupied, Engaged, Vacant, Asleep).

Action tiles recognizes the rooms as objects I can add to the app but there is no way to add them as tiles it seems.

thank you! that was the hope glad to hear its working well for you. me too. :smiley:

i dont use action tiles but each room occupancy device has the occupancy attribute which is the room state as a string. could you not display that on the tile?

I am brand new to Action tiles myself. Trying it out to see if I like it.

I believe action tiles is already incorporating the occupancy attribute natively. You have to select your “things” to allow action tiles to display. It allows me to select the rooms I have made (the native occupancy attribute), but then when I try to make that data into a tile it is does not present any of the rooms as an option. Not sure if I explained that well.

Would there be a way to convert that occupancy attribute into a virtual switch that would still display the status?

so we are 2 blind men leading each other? :grinning:

instead of occupancy what if you try to use it as a sensor in action tiles? do the rooms show up as option then?

[/quote]
so we are 2 blind men leading each other? :grinning:
[/quote]

Indeed we are. I am not sure if I can force action tiles to read it as a sensor. All of my rooms appear as selectable “things” within the Smartthings Action tiles Smart Apps. However, when I go to build a action tiles panel, no rooms appear as options to have in a tile. All of the other things function normally (motion sensors, lights, switches, virtual switches, etc.) Just for whatever reason I cannot take the rooms built within rooms manager and have them display in a tile.

true. since i dont know how action tiles selects devices to display in tiles i am also unsure myself. but if it does it by attribute thought sensor might be an option.

sorry.

No problem. Thought I would give it a shot since I was experimenting with action tiles. I appreciate the assistance.

One other question. I am attempting to utilize the WebCore presence sensor to trigger some sleep states for rooms. Do you have any tips for automating the “Asleep” process?

yes. for the room go to asleep settings and pick the webcore presence sensor corresponding to the room as the sleep sensor. that should change the room state correspondingly when the webcore presence sensor triggers sleep.

you also have the option of using the same or different presence sensor to turn the room to engaged or vacant state. this seems to work well for teenager rooms. when they come home the room changes to engaged. when they leave home the room changes to vacant. no telling them to turn off the switches behind them. :wink:

this last part is available in the engaged settings.

I like the idea for using the presence sensor for engaged state. That is a great idea!

Is there anyway to automate the awake vs sleep sensor though? From what I can tell the only way to change the state to “asleep” is by toggling awake and sleep in the smartthings app?

well if you are using the webcore presence sensor and set that to asleep the room will also to alseep. is that what you mean?

but since you ask :grin: these are on my backlog to consider:

1. allow for a switch to set room to asleep. this would be similar to the switch in the engaged settings but in the asleep settings. this is fairly simple to do…
  2. allow rules to set room state. so you could set up a rule on weekdays change room to asleep state at 10pm and end asleep state at 6:30am. this one is a little trickier and will require some thinking through to implement.

open to other ideas. :smiley:

1. allow for a switch to set room to asleep. this would be similar to the switch in the engaged settings but in the asleep settings. this is fairly simple to do…
  2. allow rules to set room state. so you could set up a rule on weekdays change room to asleep state at 10pm and end asleep state at 6:30am. this one is a little trickier and will require some thinking through to implement.

I have already implemented #1 by making a virtual switch that I can turn on to switch the webcore presence sensor to asleep.

I was hoping to avoid #2 since my schedule can be a bit too variable! Was hoping there may be something I didn’t think about, but I will keep thinking about it!

I greatly appreciate all the help. All your work has really made this app great.

true but not everyone uses the webcore presence sensor so it might still be useful for most users.

well working on listening to user breathing pattern but till then its unfortunately manual :wink:

you are welcome! thank you.

(i am not working on listening to user breathing pattern. thats a joke. please dont ask me later why that feature is missing.) :grinning: