Schedule a command from Webcore to a raspberry pi after x hours of inactivity

I am looking to turn of the monitor on my Retropie after a few hours of inactivity. I am running pi 4 with RetroPie and Hubitat with Webcore.

The command is simple: vcgencmd display_power 0, I have a motion sensor near the RetroPie just need to pull it together. So if I knew how to run that command with Webcore that would be a good option as well.

Maybe an over the top solution for what you need…

I use nodered on my PI. There is a hubitat integration that allows HE devices to be monitored & controlled. So a simple nodered flow could be triggered by HE (possibly a virtual switch set for when you want it to run) then nodered could call a function to perform the command on the pi.

nodered is well worth a look, I have some very good temp & power monitoring graphs using reading taken from HE.

I haven’t used node red. I can look into it but thought there might be a way to push command line commands via maker api or something to the pi

I’ not too familiar with what would be involved, but suspect you’d need to write some target for the maker api to access.

There is a maker api to link to the nodered pallette. You probably already have nodered installed on the pi by default.

Another option is if you could create a web endpoint to perform the command for you, then WC could just perform a get request on the url. I’ve done this with a simple node.js app in the past, but find nodered easier to use & more flexible.

What about this one…

I tried flask a while back. I think I got stuck on the .pay file. Doesn’t cups in his example only control the printer?

Yes, his cups example is for the printer but you can put the command you want to issue in a python executable file and that’s what you call from within flask.

I’m sure the retropi group would be able to give you the correct syntax for the script.

They told me to come here lol. I know the command just not sure how to invoke it.

vcgencmd display_power 0

So would this be the correct code

from flask import Flask
import subprocess
app = Flask(name)

@app.route(’/’)

def my_command():
cmd = [“vcgencmd display_power 0”]
p = subprocess.Popen(cmd, stdout=subprocess.PIPE, stderr=subprocess.PIPE, stdin=subprocess.PIPE)
out,err = p.communicate()
return out

if name == “main” :
app.run()

the python popen docs may help you here. But for this example, you need to supply the command as a list of strings.

cmd = ["vcgencmd", "display_power", "0"]

Thanks what should I use for the envir. Variable?