Speak Text and resume do not appear in command selction table of Webcore Dashboard of

Hi there
I have sonos speakers all around the house and all have speak text.
Never used beam though. I use Sonos one.

here is the screen shot.

Have you tried to look for a DTH for Sonos?

If you are using the newer LAN Sonos Player Websocket DTH, the “speak text” commands are no longer available. You can try reverting to the older LAN Sonos Player DTH via the IDE, which should still work. However, be aware that the older DTH is being deprecated and SmartThings has said in the past that it will eventually be removed.

ouch!

But the good news is we still have PLAY URL…:))) and tons of Text To Speech websites:)

Hi bthrock,

Thank you so much for your reply. I have “LAN SONOS Websocket” and “LAN SONOS Payer” without DTH. Can this be my problem? I tried to select both options, I still have the same problem. Anymore suggestions will be very appreciated.

Thank you so much for your reply. What is DTH for SONOS. I do not quite know what to look for (DTH for SONOS)? Any details is very much appreciated.

LAN Sonos Player is the older (to be deprecated) DTH. LAN Sonos Player Websocket is the new DTH. You can only choose one or the other. If you choose the older one, the speak commands should appear after a hard refresh of your webCoRE dashboard.

No luck. I selected LAN Sonos Player. The Speak Text command still does not appear. :-(. Thank you anyway.

I just went through the process on one of my speakers and it worked as expected. Be sure to press UPDATE after changing the DTH and then confirm in the device list in the IDE that the change was made. Also, try going through the webCoRE app / Settings / Available Devices / Available Devices / and re-saving the speaker, then doing a hard refresh of your dashboard in your web browser.

Good day bthrock,
/
Thank you so much. I finally have 'speak text" command but there is sound? Do you also have SONOS Beam?

Use LAN Sonos Player Websocket. After Oct 17, 2019 that is the only device handler supported by ST

Hi,

I have tried both versions DTH. I have different problems. The “Speak Text” does not work at all. “Play Track” works sometime.

I tried “Speak Text”, it has no sound at all.

If I use “Play Track” to send MP3 from SoundJay.com to SONOS it works.

If I upload the same MP3 file to Soundcloude.com. It has no sound?

Edit: Oops, inadvertently replied to @jkp instead of @Brian123822

As has been noted, the earlier DTH is being (or has been) deprecated and the “speak text” capability has been removed from the new DTH. The fact that the old DTH still has the “speak text” command does not mean it can or will work. That functionality may well have already been removed by SmartThings/Sonos.

I personally use a node server with webCoRE to manage the majority of my Sonos–related functions as it is more flexible and powerful. But there are a variety of speech to text options, a few of which have been referenced already above.

You will have to use what works. Without going into a detailed explanation, there are certain types of links that will not work for the play track command.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but we’re just days away from being forced to switch to yet another inferior solution with the Sonos Websocket DTH and I would like to know if there is any work around for the ‘speak text’ WebCore command when it comes to dynamic text, captured in Variables?

I.e. reading out TWC weather etc, I also have pistons setup that capture Tasker HTTP Posts into variables which then get read out over my Sonos speakers. Is this now impossible? If so, is it still possible with Hubitat?

This is the method that I use for fancy voice alerts.
(It takes about 20-30 min to set it up, but all future voice commands takes only one sec to code)

It has worked reliably over the past 2 ½ years, and will continue to work after the new changes in SmartThings…

Note: You already use Tasker, so you’re already halfway there…

Thanks @WCmore it’s agood option but not one I can use with my Sonos speakers by the looks of things…

I take it that ‘Speak Text’ just isn’t part of the new Sonos API? I.e. would the WebCore minions ever be able to build a new ‘Speak Text’ command that works with the new Sonos WebSocket DTH? If not, is everything working in relation to tts in Hubitat? If so, this is what could finally push me over…

Thanks again.

It should work if Sonos can connect to the Android.
(either Bluetooth or 3.5mm wire)

Alternatively, a cheap pair of computer speakers works, as well as any other speaker connected to the Android.

I’m looking at using this for my sonos

It runs a node.js app on the raspberry PI. It offers numerous commands including speak, you just need to send a get request to the url
e.g
192.168.1.100:5000/bedroom/say/hello

Its tested fine, I need to update my pistons now.

If you’re interested I can post my install notes

Thanks Paul, I’d definitely be interested, but I don’t own a PI so could be a steep learning curve for me when it comes to getting it all setup. Nonetheless, if you could post some notes that would be great :+1:t2:

The Pi is easy to setup, they provide good info. A PI zero would be fine for this.
Below are my rough notes. You would probably want to get the app to start when the PI boots too, but I’ve not got round to that yet

Ensure Pi is up to date

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Download nodejs

curl -sL https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_6.x | sudo -E bash -

Install nodejs

sudo apt-get install -y nodejs

Confirm version

node -v

Download from https://github.com/jishi/node-sonos-http-api
into

mkdir /home/pi/sonos/