Tile & Piston State Display for Two Nest Thermostats

Here’s a piston that will display tiles for two Nest thermostats as well as a piston state.

The main temp value on the tile is the setpoint. The temp in the footer is the actual temp. Colors displayed match those from Nest (not testing orange right now - too hot to run the heat).

Temps in the piston state will show different colors based on the temps but you may not see much change as it’s likely your temps will remain in a tight zone.

The piston updates on any change of set point, operating state, actual temperature or humidity from either thermostat.

You can set your thermostat devices in the variables.

35 AM

@ahndee provided a version of this in the ST forum that should handle any number of thermostats. To be honest, I had a little trouble with it but failed to give him any feedback as such. I also wanted to set some relevant icons on the tiles and his version did not do that. A link to his version:

Hi @Nezmo, I was wondering if you can help debug. I installed your piston (sfsu) and tweaked the labels for the fact I use ecobee instead of nest as well as changing out the up and down stairs references.

However, the MBR thermostat, which is currently in auto, heat = 69 and ac = 79, currently with an actual of 73 (so idle) is showing a set point of 74. (feels like it is simply averaging the 2 setpoints).

I saw references to the AUTO issue in the linked deprecated thread, but no real answer of edit, that I see. Do you know how to write the code for the main body of the tile for a thermo in auto mode?

I figured it out.

“{’{format(’%.0f’,decimal([upstairsThermostat :heatingSetpoint]))} ‘(’/ '([upstairsThermostat :coolingSetpoint]))}°F” <- that at least works for me

However, how about changing the humidity read out to something representing the system fan being on or off?

Glad you got it figured-out.

Regarding the humidity/fan state - I could make a version for that I think. There’s a fan mode attribute. I’m not sure if that will show actual current state of the fan or just the mode it’s in - I suspect the latter.

The auto mode is something I have yet to make a change for as different attributes are used for the setpoints in Auto (and also Eco mode for Nests) as you found out. But I need to update the piston so it will work for A/C, Heat and Auto modes.

I am away on business right now but I’ll take a look at all these fixes when I get back home.

For anyone that uses Nests, I have recently made a minor change to set the orange colour on heat to the Nest orange.

@Nezmo This is probably a silly question, but on line 34 where you have figures for colours for the tile, are the figures for percentage or temperature?

There are no silly questions :).

The tile colours are set based on state of the thermostat. So, orange for heating, blue for cooling, gray for idle … I matched the colours to Nest. Each colour does not change according to temp - it’s just fixed orange for heat, blue for cool.

Thanks