Unwanted excessive delay for Whole House Fan

1) Give a description of the problem
The piston is taking an excessive amount of time to execute - up to 10 minutes. I might have missed it, but the lights did not appear to flash at all when they should have been triggered either.

2) What is the expected behavior?
This piston is to optimize the use of my whole house fan(s). I’d like to be notified when the temperature outside has dropped below the temperature inside by a flashing light in my kitchen and bedroom. Then, when I open one of the designated windows, the thermostat should switch to “off”, and the whole house fans switch to “on”. Conversely, once the temperature outside has risen past the indoor temperature, I’d like the lights to flash again. Once all the windows are closed the thermostat should turn to “auto”, and the whole house fans turn to “off”.

3) What is happening/not happening?
The fans and thermostat seem to work, but even though it is cooler outside by a couple degrees at the time I open the windows, it still takes ~10 minutes for the fans to kick on and the thermostat to switch. The delay is also present when I close the windows once the fans are running. Neither my wife or I noticed the lights flash at all (though not impossible that we were in different rooms at the time), but my ST app did report that the commands were sent.

4) Post a Green Snapshot of the pistonimage

5) Attach any logs (From ST IDE and by turning logging level to Full)
I had logs turned off… Sorry about that.

Ok, I’m thinking that maybe the issue is that several IFs do not contain triggers, and are just a series of conditions? I’ve tried changing them to “always subscribe” to see if that makes a difference. We’ll see…

You should narrow it down and find where the delay is. Create a simple piston that does the task you want without involving temperature triggers and see if the thermostat and whole house fan will behave like you want it to.

I wasn’t home last night or this morning, but my wife reported no delays and that everything seemed to be working. I’d say there’s a 50% chance she knows what she’s talking about. :grin:

So hopefully this thing is running properly now and subscribing to the IF statements worked. I’ll know tomorrow for sure.

Subscribing seems to have resolved the delay.

Would you mind posting the final working design or is that it above? I am looking for something very similar. Though I see one change you should make but can’t figure out how to do it in webcore. One of the big issues we have with our whole house fan is turning it off in the morning and closing up at the right time. It would be nice to add a notification when the outside temp starts to rise send notification, though that may alert too early. Maybe when it rises by x degrees. send notification to close windows