Unwanted Notifications

@bangali @c1arkbar - So after some testing I noticed that other ST Apps were sending the wife notifications as well as WC (she hadn’t told me this previously). I reached out to SmartThings and they sent me the below info. I have Contacts set up in ST to pick who receives which notification but obviously this is sending all notifications to both contacts listed. Is there a way to set up & send notifications to just the selected persons? I can’t imagine with with the massive Community ST & WC have that no on else has this issue?

@ady624 - Is there any way to add notifications to the WC app so each sensor could also receive notifications? Not sure if its possible but thought I’d throw the idea out there.

Hi there,
Thanks for reaching out.
I’m sorry to hear the notification settings is causing you some troubles, but I’m happy to go over this with you.
At this time, anyone associated with your SmartThings account will receive Notifications. There currently is no way to customize this so it’s singular to just one person. Sorry about that.
However, we’ve got other users who’ve brought this to our attention already, and I’d be happy to tag your name into feature request for our developers to review. If we get enough feedback like this from more users, we may add something like this down the road.
In the mean-time, if you no longer wish to receive notifications on either your or your wife’s app, you’ll have to disable notifications from SmartThings in the Mobile Devices native settings.
Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns for us from here.
Kind Regards,
Chelsea W.
SmartThings Support

i am missing something … in wC if you use send notification to contacts and pick only the contact that should receive that particular notification, doesnt that do what you are asking for here?

When I pick, send notifications to contacts, it sends the notification to both me and my wife, even if only one of us is selected. The piston in the original post is an example, both my wife & myself get the push notification even though only 1 person is listed. I havent set up my wife to the beta for the app, nor have i tried using my Beta presence in the notification recipient, does the app already have the notifications enabled?

wasnt that because of this?

do you mean the mobile app for presence detection? if yes, dont believe that does any notification.

She originally had the Google account on her phone as well, but i have removed it and she still receives all the notifications. Right now, she is getting all the test notifications from Presence App even though I only chose my contact.

Yes I meant the mobile app for Presence detection. That would be a pretty great addition if possible! Then you could add kids/family to notifications etc without giving full access to ST.

Do you send notifications to anyone else other than yourself through ST? If so, what do you use?

ok. theres something going on with the settings here.

i extensively use notification to contacts for 4 family members and use them in different combinations. only the contacts i select get the notifications sent to them. no one else in the family gets notification thats meant for someone else.

for every user the ST app was installed by sending them an invite and then creating an account for them. after that i enabled the contact book in ST and started using each contact to send notification.

i am generally fine with them using the app for certain things. but, if they do things manually that are meant to be app controlled, then i have pistons set up to notify me for those conditions.

I set up my wife’s phone the same way. Sent her an invite & she created log in and everything. In settings, she has her email address & phone number. I am not sure what’s going on then. As that email from ST, they werent really pushing to try to help out either.

if you setup a piston that just sends a notification to you then look in the ST notification log under your location, what do you see?

It only shows it sending it to my name. I tried with the Phone/SMS and that is fine, it will only send to me, but I prefer the push notifications over the SMS notifications.

have you tried logging her out of the ST app and logging back in with her email/pass?

also, click on the notification ID in the image you posted and what email id is it being sent to?

heres what i see when sending just to myself

The notification ID shows my email & name. I changed the piston to send only to her as well and the ID info shows her name/email as well (but i get those notifications too).

I’ll try signing us both out and maybe delete the apps from both phones and see if that works.

I signed both of our accounts out, deleted the apps logged back in and tested. Still same results. The ST Logging is showing everything correctly, but for some reason we are still both receiving any push notification to either contact.

would you be willing to install this ST app and check what happen when you do a push notification thru ST only?

NP! I have installed and tested pushing a button. Same results, if i tell it to notify my wife or myself, we both receive the notification. Is there any logs you want to see?

in this code please add the log.debug and lets check the ST ide log output of it please. before posting the log output mask any personal info by replacing each character with a X or something.

if (location.contactBookEnabled) {
log.debug "msg: $msg ^ recipients: $recipients ^ options: $options"
	sendNotificationToContacts(msg, recipients, options)
} else {

Nevermind! I figured it out i think. Please see log info from IDE below. I just hid my wifes info in Red. I didnt see anything else that was specific. Please let me know if there is so I can update :slight_smile:

ok. so, ST is finding contact book is enabled. i am trying something myself … give me a few minutes.

we do know now that its a ST issue and not related to webcore. but, cant think of anything else to try at the moment. if something comes to mind, will ping you.

sorry.

Not a problem! Appreciate your time sir! I might add a topic onto the ST Forum to see if anyone else has these issues. I searched but wasnt able to find anything.

Thanks!

ehh, no need to thank me.

makes sense. you also have a way of showing that its a ST only issue.