Use Ikea wireless Dimmer as Volume knob for HT receiver

conditions
execution
variables
triggers
piston

1) Give a description of the problem
I came out with a very interesting project but need your help. I want to see use an IKEA wireless dimmer as a volume knob. The receiver is controlled via IHC (Broadlink) app.

2) What is the expected behaviour?
When the dimmer is acting (increasing or decreasing it value) I want that every X% on the dimmer the piston execute a virtual Alexa button that triggers a scene from ihc raising or decreasing the volume on a loop. The idea is that every 1% the piston push the virtual button

3) What is happening/not happening?
Not started yet.

4) Post a Green Snapshot of the pistonimage
(UPLOAD YOUR IMAGE HERE)

5) Attach logs after turning logging level to Full
(PASTE YOUR LOGS HERE THEN HIGHLIGHT ALL OF THE LOGS AND CLICK ON THE </> ICON TO FORMAT THEM CORRECTLY)

REMOVE BELOW AFTER READING
If a solution is found for your question then please mark the post as the solution.

It’s doable BUT i don’t think that 1% increase or decrease will work.
Lets say you increased the dimmer from 10 to 40.
What ever piston you come up with needs to execute 30 times in seconds which will not happen.
You can though achieve reading where the dimmer stops.
Lets say it was 10 and you increased up to 40. The piston can read that 40 and act accordingly.
all above will be relevant IF you can see the dimmer in webcore in one way or another.

I agree with Ike… I think the most you can ever expect is a single volume change every 2+ seconds… (3-4 seconds is more realistic… If you are using Alexa and Scenes, it may be closer to 5-7 seconds until everything settles down again)

You do not want every single minuscule change to trigger a piston…

I would make a change quickly… then pause while the automation does it’s thing… (repeat if necessary)

5-7 seconds very reasonable estimate.

I remember Wcmore and I were writing a piston for my house and I wanted something similar to yours.
I wanted house lights to level up or down according to lux sensor, pointed toward outside.
He warned me about it but I wanted to see it for my self LOL…
The house started acting a like night club:)))) Small and fast increments were a huge failure.

also keep in mind some receivers work in -dB volume increments, so if you set 50% on the dimmer it might have to be -50 to the receiver. Otherwise it would come on at +50 and you might need some new ears/pants.

Thanks Ike and Serg. My initial idea is to manage the volume inside my comfortable sound threshold. Then how could I achieve the trigger?

From the back of my mind this could be achieved by various IFs. Also testing I notice Ikea dimmer goes 10 by 10. How the piston could know if I’m going up or down with ample IFs.

I’m in love with webCore to the point that is my new obsession.

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

From wifi dimmer to webcore piston??? That part is above my pay grade my friend:)))
I love your project and if I were you I would just buy a zwave dimmer that can be seen in webcore directly.
Once you see the dimmer and levels etc in webcore the task is much easier.

But i’m curious to see if anyone can come up with a solution. (tasker, Ifttt etc)

Two questions:

1. Can webCoRE see & respond to your IKEA wireless dimmer?
  2. Can your receiver accept commands from SmartThings/webCoRE?

Whenever possible, this path is always my first choice…

Yes. Ikea dimmer is inside ST as a thing and is possible to assign actions on webcore. I want the second question yes I can send comments from smart things to my receiver I want the second question yes I can send comments from smart things to my receiver Using a beard will Alexa Button. The workaround with that revolves around of having a switch that when you press it runs a routine inside of Alexa that commands and IHC macro that allows me to perform any clicking on the physical control of the receiver.

In this case, I would bypass all those crazy bunny-hops, and just send a command directly from webCoRE straight to the receiver… Once that part is working, you can always use Alexa to execute that piston.