Using a physical Z-wave dimmer switch as a virtual dimmer?

This isn’t directly related to Webcore but I prefer to talk to you all about it knowing that Webcore will be the function for what I’m trying to do.

Recently, I wired a GE Z-wave switch so that the switch always has power and the light fixture it was connected to would always have power too. I then put some Sylvania bulbs in the fixtures and just use the switch as a trigger for a Webcore piston that turns on/off the bulbs and a bunch of other things depending on conditions. I’m curious if the same would work for a dimmer switch?

I understand that traditional and z-wave dimmer switches dim the bulbs they are connected to by constraining the voltage that gets to the bulb. But, would a dimmer switch with just the hot wired to it work as a dimmer if I use a piston to replicate the state of the switch into selected bulbs? I know it can be done in Webcore as I’ve done it with numerous virtual dimmer switches but now I want a physical switch as well.

Thanks as always for all your help!

I don’t see why that wouldn’t work.

What’s the trigger you’d use for that?

Changes
On Events from

Maybe even both would work…?

But I agree, I believe you could set them up to do that.

@Mike1616, the piston would look just like the one @Robin posted above. I’ve used this for several “master” virtual switches and it works great.

The only thing I think might be the problem is the delay in pressing the button and they lights actually dimming, and if there is any way that the switch can tell the voltage running through it and just reports what it reads.

If the switch has no load then it will report zero watts.

In regards to delay… have you considered using a Zwave plus switch and a Zwave plus bulb and linking the two with direct association? This will bypass the hub altogether with instant response times.

I have not thought about that yet, however, the bulbs are existing Philips Hue bulbs so that idea won’t work. I’m going to give it a try and if it works then great, if not, I have several secondary locations that I want to put a dimmer on dumb bulbs.

use ge switches with lifx and hue lamps in 4 spots. with the ge dimmer dth you can change the ramp speed and step size, same with the hue b smart ap and better lifx dth. i have my lamps at 2 seconds and the switches are close to 2 seconds total for manual and zwave on/off calls.

on a good day its about a half second behind. the cloud and device on other pistons can be instant to 5 seconds behind. it works but it isnt always pretty