Using External Information

1) Give a description of the problem
Hi, i am wondering if WebCoRE has a way to read files on a computer or if anyone knows of a Hubitat plugin to read a .txt files on a computer. This way i could set a piston to do different things based on out side information. This will be useful as i have a webscrapping bot relaying information about firecalls as i am volunter firefighter and need a way to hook that application into WebCoRE.

I guess what i am asking is, if anyone knows of a way to get infromation from outside of WebCoRE or hubitat into it.

2) What is the expected behaviour?
Have my .exe output a .txt files, WebCoRE in anyway reads the information from that .txt and can set a variable to the text information. Dosent need to happen form a .txt file i could set it up to be something else.

3) What is happening/not happening?
Finding a way to do this :frowning:

I use the free app called EventGhost to get data from my PC into webCoRE.

Honestly though, any program that can make a web request should be able to pass variables directly to webCoRE by adding arguments to the end of a piston’s External URL.

If you go this route, here are a couple of posts that showcase data going both ways.

• webCoRE > EventGhost
  • EventGhost > webCoRE

This sounds perfect,

I had someone else sugest the same application. I downloaded it and it seems very complicated. Adding varibales to the end of the External URL is the way i would love to do it as the external URL is how i currently trigger the piston.

Ill look into this a little more and ask if i need some more help

Thanks a bunch.

For the record, there is no need to worry about any Device Handlers or SmartApps…
… and the only required plugin in EventGhost is “Webserver”.

(although “Speech” is cool too if you want your PC to occasionally speak)

Speech would be awesome, i could have it read out the call information, only problem would be that i plan on hosting this all on a VPS eventualy and so that would go out the window.

I have not tested on a VPS:
inbound triggers, (webCoRE to EventGhost)

I would imagine that:
outbound triggers, (EventGhost to webCoRE) should not be a problem.

I’d be interested in checking out the text file and the keywords/phrases you’re looking for.

https://gyazo.com/5148c8922b543d4c3e844876421e335d

https://gyazo.com/3bf73c3d03200a44b0f346248178515a

Thats the premis of them.

All i need is the code.txt type.txt and formatted.txt

Dont need to look for any keywords or phrases, just the whole string.

My two cents?

If your “webscrapping bot” can make web requests, then I would go directly from that app to a piston’s External URL. (totally bypassing EventGhost). I’d let webCoRE handle the incoming variables, and decide which path to take afterwards.

Do you have any idea on how i could do this?

Its a simple VB.NET application. Iv honestly got no idea on how to add variables to a External URL request. Is it something inside of WebCoRE or something inside of my VB app? I just dont understand how i send Data through the External URL.

Quick answer:

After the URL, you can add anything in this format:
?description=data
or
?event=currentEvent&info=currentInfo

By adding arguments to the end of your External URL, it will be seen in that piston.
(notice the ending in the example below)

https://api.smartthings.com/api/token/123abc/smartapps/installations/456def/execute/:789abc:?PcLocked=false

In a piston, you can:
Set variable string = $args.PcLocked
… and in this case, the variable called “string” would be set to “false”.

You can see more details at the earlier link.

Thankyou that makes alot more sense.

I have the variables correctly set up in a WC piston. Activating the normal Execute URL shows a null value for the variables (as expected). However once i add: ?code=CODE1
To the end of the URL it displays this:

Its reading the arument as part of the token.

Im sorry to be such a pain!

Your piston has to be told what to look for.

In this case, something like:

define
    string code = (no value set)
end define

execute
    Set variable code = $args.code
end execute

The string variable named “code” will be set to CODE1

Yes, i have these set in the piston. Thats why i am so confused.
Should have attached an image.

https://gyazo.com/a23b31c32c228f2c554e6e5ed2b8b0f6

I just noticed you lost a colon in your URL… Right after the 21

pic

Just tried that and it still thinks that it is apart of the Token. Returning the same error.

OKokok so i worked it out.

Turns out the access token is an argument in its self.

Therefor i needed to use &code=____ as the token started the arguments

Hey,

I would just like to thank you sooo much. Just had my application send a cutom URL and send information to WebCore. This is honestly a life saver. Cant thank you enough.

Awesome! Glad I was able to help!