Using One Thermostat to Control a Second One

Total Newbie…it took me a while to even get to where I am. I at least feel like I’m close?

1) Give a description of the problem
I’d like to use Thermostat 4 (no A/C) to “control”/“trigger” Thermostat 3 (no A/C).

2) What is the expected behavior?
When the temperature registered by Thermo 4 is below it’s setpoint, I want Thermo 3 to turn on and set its thermostat to Thermo 4’s, and then turn off when Thermo 4’s is at its setpoint. And then do it all over again, once Thermo 3 fires up again.

3) What is happening/not happening?
Not sure, Thermo 3 doesn’t seem to be reacting to the Thermo 4’s at all.

4) Post a Green Snapshot of the piston![image|45x37]![image|690x416]

5) Attach any logs (From [ST IDE]

and by turning logging level to Full)

You have multiple triggers (the lightening bolt on the left side). I believe you can only have 1 trigger per piston (or 1 trigger per IF statement). THis is because there can ONLY EVER BE 1 trigger true at any one time.

Try changing the triggers to conditions, and go from there.

I think you can split that 2nd half off into another IF statement to remedy that part.

I use less than or equal to in my pistons, and they are conditions, not triggers. I’m not sure why your less than is flagged as a trigger, but it is.

I’ll try this again from the start, trying to remedy the two points above (thanks…didn’t even notice the lightning bolts).

Just FYI, because I wasn’t sure how long it would take to verify the account, I monkeyed around last night before going to bed but after posting here, and this tweak seems to be working (I added a third thermostat). Not sure if it’s just Sinope, but I think the key is that I can’t turn the other thermostats “off”…I just need to set them “low”. Not sure why, but I don’t seem to be able to “wake” an “off” thermostat via the script? Just FYI in case someone else is struggling. I’ll go clean up the code.

Okay, cleaned it up so only one trigger per “if” statement…got rid of some extra lines re: Thermo 4 being “off” (as it seems redundant if it’s reading the temperature), and all seems to be working.

PS: I used Thermo 4’s setpoint as greater than or equal to its temperature to kick in Thermos 2 and 3, but stuck with less than to shut it off (so there wasn’t an overlapping “equals to” issue)…and to err on the side of warmth (at least in the spring when it will cost me less!).

Thanks!

One thing I’ve noticed…if I “manually” adjust the temperature on the thermostat itself (Sinope Zigbee), then it doesn’t seem to be reflected in the “software” control. Is that right, or is there something else I’m missing? I would have thought that if I adjusted at the thermostat, it would pick it up in the app?

I think it may have to do with polling and status updates. Some devices, some lightbulbs for example, do not report status changes back to the hub. The hub may only poll your thermostat for changes at intervals as well. In your case, the thermostat is not reporting the setpoint change back to the hub. I don’t know specifically if/when/how the thermostat updates status with the hub, but that is likely the issue. Hopefully someone here knows more detail about the hub/thermostat communication.

Thanks! That makes sense. I just asked Sinope on the ST forum about whether the driver could be revised for (or other change made to) the thermostat to report changes back to the hub. I’ll report back here if I get an answer.