Washing Machine - Trouble Using Acceleration as a Condition/Trigger

1) Give a description of the problem
So, I have this problem. It’s called laziness. When related to doing laundry, this almost always results in wet clothes left sitting in the washer bin for too long, resulting in not only everything I washed to smell like crap, but the washing machine as well causing itself, forcing me to spend hours and hours attempting to clean the sucker to it’s previous usable condition. I’m not married. Can you tell?

My issue is in getting my piston to detect when a washing cycle has completed based on specific acceleration activity from a ST multi-purpose sensor. I know, I know, “but there’s so many other ways to do this!” I have a stackable washer/dryer unit which runs off a single power source so I don’t have a lot of options. I actually receive alerts for the dryer cycles based a Visonic O/C sensor glued to my dryer timer knob with carefully placed magnets which trigger a closed contact, and thus the completion of a drying cycle #getcreative.

2) What is the expected behaviour?
For the open closed sensor (placed on the lid hatch of the washer) to detect when a cycle has completed, but the lid/hatch hasn’t been opened (and stayed open for >30 seconds) indicating the items in the washer haven’t been unloaded.

The sensor would need to detect acceleration has started, but also that it has continued for a significant amount of time, regardless of the periodic “inactivity” events, reported due to the polling frequency of these sensors. The sensor almost constantly registers “active” during a washing cycle, even during filling and brief soak stages. I’ve been quite impressed by this, yet the period “inactive” reports slip in from time to time which keep tripping me up.

3) What is happening/not happening?
It’s purely an in issue of inexperience, and poor understanding of exactly how WC triggers/conditions operate and the ideal way to set them up.

**4) Post a Green Snapshot of the piston!
Please excuse the simplicity of this piston. I’ve attempted this objective across so many other pistons, this happened to be the most current.

5) Attach logs after turning logging level to Full
I’m not sure the logs would help much in this situation. However, I would like to include a few screenshots from the activity history within the ST Classic app (soon to RIP :cry:) to provide a bit more insight.

First, just wanted to show off my neat-o device handler I made for this sensor :slight_smile:
Running v Done = Acceleration detection
Closed v Open = Lid of the washer opened or closed. (Remains closed throughout cycle)

MOST IMPORTANT! Below are the events of an entire washing cycle

Maybe it’s just too early in the morning…but does this piston work? What is it doing or not doing?

I just discovered issues with a lot of sensors, attempting to check them (and pistons for this), right now.

Soo sorry, should I take down and re-post if there’s an issue still?

Yeah, I’m going to do that. Super sorry!

If I knew… how to do that… lol

You posted in the image area. So I thought you were asking for help with your piston.

Yes, was. But just found other issues. Apologies!

Can you tell me how to take this post down?

No problem. Check back in and let us know if you need any further assistance. :slight_smile:

how can I take down the post?

Apologies again - Question is back on the table!

Can anyone help me with my piston? It doesn’t seem to be triggering, well anything.

If this is as simple as the piston being written/formatted in a better way, please let me know.

The piston in the first post looks like itis going to run whenever the acceleration changes or the contact changes. To get through the first ‘if’ conditions into the ‘then’ would seem to require the acceleration to have just changed from active to inactive, having previously been continuously active for at least a minute, and to then stay inactive for three minutes. My washing machine might not do that but it seems plausible for yours.

We probably need to see the full webCore logs for a period when you feel it should be doing something as it may help us see more clearly.

IMO this piston can’t trigger at all.
First IF will trigger in one minute mark and the piston look for second IF and it wont be TRUE.

Here is my un-tested suggestion.

Use open close as a trigger. (Putting the laundry in)
Use WAIT (maybe 30-40 minutes)
Check if the accelaration stopped.
Use WAIT
Check again
and then do this do that.

Second way would be using a simulated switch or a variable

Set variable to FALSE every early morning (some time that for sure no laundry will be done)
IF door opened change variable to TRUE
Start a timer for 60 minutes
Do this do that
If door closed
Change variable to FALSE