Web request to a local address fails with 408 timeout

I’m trying to execute a simple HTTP request to a local address on my network at 192.168.1.21:3000, but it fails with a 408 timeout response.

I’m not using any VPN or firewall.
Also, I’m getting a valid response from Postman with the same address. No special headers or anything, just a regular GET request that returns an HTML page from a local node.js process.

Can anyone point out what I am doing wrong? Thanks.

Looks like it should work to me. What about calling the url from a browser, does that work?

Thanks @eibyer. It does, and so does sending POST requests via Postman

Hmm not sure what else to check, hub and node app on same network?

I call out to a node.js app on a raspberry Pi, which works fine.

Try just using the ip and port ie. 192.168.1.21:3000

Let me tell you a funny story about a man who tried making local http requests without having a SmartThings hub. It goes like… :man_facepalming:

The (obligatory) first question from tech support:

Is the device plugged in?

:rofl:

Does the device exist? lmao

While we’re still at it - is there absolutely no way of achieving HTTP calls without using an actual hub?
I have a persistent local Ubuntu server running on an Android device. Could it somehow be configured to act as a bridge and execute those HTTP requests magically from within its network?

ST hubs around here are hard to find and are ridiculously expensive, 2nd gen hubs start around 130$.

Not sure how much you can get the hubitat hub for? This is probably a better option, it runs webcore & is compatible. Also it runs everything locally.

I’m not sure if everyone will have to switch to it soon anyway to run webcore?

If the call is external (outside your home network), then yes. A hub is not needed.

I have many pistons that make web requests, and they still work flawlessly when my home internet is down, or my hub is disconnected.

On that note, if you setup your server to be accessible from around the world, (static IP etc), then you can likely access it without owning a hub.

Yes! Great idea @WCmore I knew it was worthwhile to ask :slight_smile:
I’ll get right on it. Many thanks!

Thanks, good to know there are alternatives! :metal: