WebCore Piston to Monitor the Door of a Safe

I created a Webcore piston that monitors my safe and speaks a status on an Echo Show in my bedroom using the “Echo Speaks” Smartapp when the safe is opened. The spoken report is like this:

I see that you opened the safe. The safe was last opened January 5th 10:03 PM and it has been 12 hours and 48 minutes since it has been opened. The internal temperature of the safe is 58 degrees.

Here’s what the Webcore piston looks like.

I’m trying to replicate your piston. I like this!!

However, Can I have more info on your global variable @Safe_Last_Opened? what kind of variable is it? string? dynamic?

I’m trying turn it into a local variable for me though…

here’s what I get…

This is very interesting. I am sure you used a date type for you last opened variable . My questions are what type of contact sensor did you use, is it in the inside of the safe and, if so, does ST actually get a signal from it when closed? thanks!

I got this working without a global variable. here’s my copy…

The global Variable is of type Date_Time.

So, one of the reasons for the global variable is to be able to view the data through the dashboard and also to have the data persistent between pistons.

It is a Samsung SmartThings Multisensor.

Versatile Monitoring: All-in-one open/close, vibration, orientation, angle (tilt), and temperature sensor for multipurpose functionality

I also have a Peanut Smart Plug in a wall socket within a couple feet of the safe. The Peanut plug is a Zigbee repeater and maintains a reliable signal with the sensor inside of the safe. Peanut plugs are really cheap and work with a SmartThings IDE user written device handler readily available.