webCoRE Update v0.3.10a.20190223 - adds $twcweather to replace discontinued $weather, bug fixes

do you have a link to this? i might try to set this up as well

Here is the thread:

I used to use the snowfall.day, nighttime etc.

Now there for static values, there is only snow1Hour, snow6Hour and snow24Hour which is unfortunate, but what are the intervals in the array $twcweather.forecast.qpfSnow[0],$twcweather.forecast.qpfSnow[1], etc? I assume they are daily since they are in the forecast group.

What are the intervals for $twcweather.forecast.daypart[0].qpfSnow? i.e. hourly?

Also, the same for $twcweather.forecast.daypart[0].snowRange

We are currently going to get 7.3 inches (valiated by the $twcweather.forecast.qpfSnow[0]), but none of the 2 above (going out [1],[2].[3] + all come back with 0.

Based on the day names and day part names in the data we believe the forecast values to be daily for 14 days and the daypart values to be morning and evening always beginning with the morning of the current day. We don’t have access to any documentation for the data the SmartThings is using so operating on best guesses. No idea why the day part data would be so drastically different from the daily forecast.

Hmmm…

daypart shows an array of:

[
]

So what are all the values? If they are day and night, I would think there would be only 2 array values.

I have finally have some free time to try to convert my weather monitor piston to look for codes in the new API and today there was flood warning in another county but not here but here is the payload I received from the API call using {$twcweather.alerts[1]}. looking at the payload I found the:

phenomena:FL

But my bigger question is why am I seeing a alert for another area? I thought it was supposed to use my location “long/lat” for forecasts and alerts. Am I looking at this right, I am in Cook county not Kane County?

[adminDistrict:Illinois,
adminDistrictCode:IL,
areaId:ILC089,
areaName:Kane County,
areaTypeCode:C,
categories:[[category:Met,
categoryCode:2]],
certainty:Unknown,
certaintyCode:5,
countryCode:US,
countryName:UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,
detailKey:771b47a0-bf02-37e4-b27b-599150b49444,
disclaimer:null,
effectiveTimeLocal:null,
effectiveTimeLocalTimeZone:null,
eventDescription:River Flood Advisory,
eventTrackingNumber:0065,
expireTimeLocal:2019-03-17T07:00:00-05:00,
expireTimeLocalTimeZone:CDT,
expireTimeUTC:1552824000,
flood:[floodCrestTimeLocal:null,
floodCrestTimeLocalTimeZone:null,
floodEndTimeLocal:null,
floodEndTimeLocalTimeZone:null,
floodImmediateCause:Excessive Rainfall,
floodImmediateCauseCode:ER,
floodLocationId:AFBI2,
floodLocationName:Fox River at Algonquin Tailwater,
floodRecordStatus:N/A,
floodRecordStatusCode:OO,
floodSeverity:None,
floodSeverityCode:N,
floodStartTimeLocal:null,
floodStartTimeLocalTimeZone:null],
headlineText:River Flood Advisory until SUN 7:00 AM CDT,
ianaTimeZone:America/Chicago, identifier:9d20a54780963ab5bb05889f45552dc3,
issueTimeLocal:2019-03-10T10:46:00-05:00,
issueTimeLocalTimeZone:CDT, latitude:41.94, longitude:-88.42,
messageType:Update,
messageTypeCode:2,
officeAdminDistrict:Illinois,
officeAdminDistrictCode:IL,
officeCode:KLOT,
officeCountryCode:US,
officeName:Chicago,
onsetTimeLocal:null,
onsetTimeLocalTimeZone:null,
phenomena:FL,
processTimeUTC:1552232775,
productIdentifier:FLS,
responseTypes:[[responseType:Avoid,
responseTypeCode:5]],
severity:Moderate,
severityCode:3,
significance:Y,
source:National
Weather Service,
urgency:Unknown,
urgencyCode:5]

We do not have access to any documentation for the weather data that is coming out of SmartThings.

Please refer to $twcweather.forecast.daypart[0].daypartName. We don’t know for sure but have assumed that all values under the daypart data follow the same pattern.

I don’t see a way to get chance of precipitation within the forecast. Am I missing something? This is the most important part of a forecast (to me) but the narrative gives only vague hints like “rain” or “thunderstorms” or doesn’t mention it at all.

For the next 15 days broken down into 12 hour blocks, you can use this:
$twcweather.forecast.daypart[0].precipChance
which currently yields this for me:
[null, 0, 0, 20, 0, 10, 10, 0, 0, 10, 10, 10, 40, 50, 40, 0, 0, 10, 10, 10, 50, 50, 50, 40, 40, 40, 40, 40, 40, 40]

To only pull a single data point, you can add [x] to the end. For example,
$twcweather.forecast.daypart[0].precipChance[3]
pulls tomorrow night only. (using the numbers above, yields 20)

removed this banner . It will no longer appear at the top of every page. #89

Thank you!

I want to trigger action when there is a tornado warning. Is it sufficient to just check alerts[0].eventDescription for “Tornado Warning”? I’m not sure exactly what alerts[1] and so on are - are those previously issued alerts and if so does every alert start at [0] to where checking [0] is indeed sufficient? Or are they multiple alerts that are currently active, such that even alerts above 0 need to be checked?

Hi guys - I had been using weather underground to get the outdoor temp, outdoor humidity and dew point prior to the API being shutdown. I had a piston that ran 4 times an hour and called that API, and set global variables to hold these values. Then from any piston I could just access the values from the global variables, which were kept up to date by the piston, refreshed every 15 minutes.

I see that twcweather has $twcweather.conditions.temperatureDewPoint, $twcweather.conditions.temperature and $twcweather.conditions.relativeHumidity. It looks like I can just reference these in my pistons. It is that easy?

A couple questions though:

1. How do I tell twcweather what my zip code is that I want these readings to come from?

2. How often do these twcweather values get refreshed, and how can I control them to make sure they are updated at least 4 times and hour, maybe more if allowed?

Thanks!

1. It gets your location from your hub, make sure you have dropped the pin on your house in the ST app settings.

2. We don’t know how often they update existing data, but the day / night cycle (where the array for 15 day forecasts moves a notch) updates over a 30 minute window between 1am-1:30am and 1pm-1:30pm ish

Is this still true for you Robin?

My location updates consistently between 3 and 3:30 ish

I haven’t checked for ages and I deleted the test piston.

But ast time I checked it was still 1-1:30

Just a question. Is there any way to get weather alerts like we had with the old weather? I can collect a lot of information from conditions but one function I still can’t replicate is when NWS issues any severe weather notices such as Tornado watches and warnings.

Thanks…

@ipaterson - just curious if any new features …

A newer SmartApp version (v0.3.10c.20190522) is available

This really sucks. I had a webcore piston that checked the {$weather.alerts.alerts.description} variable to announce inclement weather alerts. There is no equivalent with twcweather. Any suggestions for an equivalent service?