Z-Wave motion switch override

I want to replace a “dumb” in wall motion switch with a Z-Wave in wall motion switch. I picked up a GE Enbrighten Smart Switch. This switch is going in the garage where motion will not be detected in all areas, (but will in most). There are times when the lights will turn off because I may be in an area not detected by the switch. This switch can be changed to manual on and manual off, but it requires removing the face plate to program. (unrealistic for every day use).

I’m wondering if anyone has:

a: any experience with this switch and has found a solution
   b: created a piston that would defeat the motion sensing, or lack thereof and keep the lights on.

I’m thinking the best option would be a piston that might detect the manual ON of the switch, and then trigger a virtual switch ON, and that would keep the lights on. When I’m ready to turn off the lights, I could simply turn off the virtual switch.

Would webCoRE be able to handle such logic?

Yes, I do this all of the time with many different devices.

So… will the lights actually switch off for a second before the piston triggers them back on? (not desirable) or will it actually keep them from turning off?

It can be as easy as one piston with two triggers:

IF device's motion changes to active
Then 
   Turn on garage light
   Turn on Simulated Switch
END IF

IF Simulated Switch changes to off
Then
   Turn off garage light
END IF

The only caveat would be to make sure the SimSwitch is outside the motion sensor’s detection zone. (IE: you don’t want the lights to come right back on)

Thanks @WCmore . I’m working on it now, but at first look, it seems this will only handle the turning off part of the desired effect. The switch itself turns off after 5 minutes of “no motion”. I want the virtual switch, IF ON to keep the lights on even if the in wall switch wants to turn them off due to lack of motion detected. Make sense?

I’ve not used any Z-Wave motion switches before and I do not see an option for “motion changes to active”. Only what is in the picture. Is this hidden somewhere?Picture1

Sorry, I forgot to mention. I would disable any built-in automation, and let webCoRE handle the logic. (as seen in my last post)

It looks like your light talks to SmartThings, but not the motion sensor. On some devices, they are added separately (IE: 1 device for the lights, and 1 device for the motion sensor)

If that is not available, then I would seek out a “Device Handler” that is designed to make the most of the “GE Enbrighten Smart Switches”…

I tried a custom handler but for some reason the motion part of the switch stopped working, but the actual switch worked. I had to factory reset and got it back to both motion and switch.

What I mean is, if SmartThings cannot see the motion sensor, then webCoRE cannot react to motion.

This should be Step-1.

Without resolving this, you could cheat a bit by using webCoRE programming to force the light back on, but it would only kick in after the internal “off” command was sent.

Alternatively, you can place any brand of motion sensor in the garage, and fall back to my earlier suggestion.

I’m going the cheat method until I can figure out a better way. In order to keep the lights ON while working in the garage, I’m using Snap-1. Switch 14 is the virtual switch that is used to keep them on. In order to turn them off when done, I’m using Snap-2.

Any suggested improvements on the cheats? The only thing I don’t like about Snap-1 is the lights actually turn off for 1 second before webCore turns them back on. I can live with that… I guess.

If you will pardon my philosophical ramblings…

This is often why I avoid devices that try to do too many things.
(IE: combined TV / DVD player)
Most of the “cool features” stays internal…

Pardoned indeed. :grin: Returning the switch and getting a regular old Z-Wave switch and making it do what I need it do with other devices.

For the benefit of this post, I’ve tried 2 different custom handlers that claim they are made for this device, and neither work.

Thanks for your help… as always!

Here’s the piston I use for my back patio. It normally turns the light on during night hours when there’s motion. If someone manually turns on the light switch, it turns off motion detection and leaves the light on. If the light’s on and there’s no motion for 1 hour, it’ll go back to motion detection and turn the light off.

That’s nice work! I’m going to hang on to this one. Since I couldn’t find a handler to work with my motion switch, I’ve sent it back. I worked out a different plan to get me almost where i need to be… for now.

Thank you. For the record, I use this motion detector around the house:

You should be able to add your light switch and motion detector to the variables at the top, and it’ll still run. (I’ll help you rewrite it if necessary)

Also, just to clarify some of the weirder stuff in my piston, the @ReceivedMsg is a global variable so I can carry a message over to my Central Speaking piston. @Whichecho tells it where to go, and @PistonTrigger starts the central speaking piston, which pulls from all the global variables. @MotionBackDoor is a global just so it holds the setting outside the piston.

The last part just formats the message appropriately to give me current status on my dashboard, and saves messages to the log so I can see the history.

That is some pretty advanced stuff… Which one lands the space shuttle in your driveway? LOL…

Seriously though… how long do the batteries last in that motion detector? I have 4 Z-Wave temp/humidity sensors that I have to change about 4-5 times a year. That’s why I was trying to go with a wall switch with a motion detector.

I’ve learned a lot on these boards. :wink:

I bought my first Ecolink in 2018…I don’t recall ever changing the battery in any of them. Maybe once?

Here’s what my dashboard looks like: (The numbers at the end of the names just tell me what version it is.)