August Smart Lock Piston isn't working. Thoughts on why?

1) Give a description of the problem
The piston should tell me if the Smart lock pro is locked or not at a particular time of day.
It is not reporting that the lock is unlocked as it should (it was unlocked at the time of the test).

2) What is the expected behaviour?
I should get a text message stating the the lock is unlocked, if it is unlocked at the time stated in the piston.
I will change the time to 10:00 PM for the final version. the time in the piston was just for testing purposes.

3) What is happening/not happening?
I do not get the message even when the lock clearly IS unlocked.
I see that when I created the anonymized snapshot of the piston (below), it shows the lock as a Contact Sensor. Shouldn’t it say Lock?
I am using the Universal Z-Wave Lock With Alarms device handler. It came up by default. Should I use a different handler?
The actual line in the if statement is "side door’s lock is unlocked). Side door is the name I gave the lock. The lock appears to be working properly as it works well in the Smartthings app and in Action Tiles.

**4) Post a Green Snapshot of the piston![image|45x37]

before I switched to the new August integration a few weeks back, I used the stock Z-wave Lock device handler for my August Pro Lock with z-wave

Many locks have more available choices than just locked or unlocked…

Because of this, I would invert your logic:

Every day at X
Do
    IF Device's lock IS NOT locked
        Then Send SMS
    END IF
END EVERY

With this method, you will get a text if the lock is unlocked, or unknown, or an error, or jammed etc… but will not get a text if it is locked.

If you still have errors, then we’d need to see a green snapshot with Trace turned on, and a log set to Full showing the error.

Thanks for your help, but with the if statement you suggested I still get no message sent and the anonymized image of the piston still shows Contact Sensor instead of lock.

Ahh yes… It is probably the Device Handler then…

I am not sure which one is “the best” for August locks… but this link takes you to quite a few discussions centered around this.

yeah… my post above

two choices - the stock z-wave lock dth which works with ST or @rboys smartapp and device handler

or if you have August Connect, you can use the new August integration from the new app which gives you lock/unlock status, battery status and open/closed if you use August doorsense

I believe this is one of the older, out-dated versions depending on who developed. Everyone was encouraged to switch to the newer stock DTHs about a year or so

An obvious first question is: are you successfully receiving texts from webCoRE? Another one is: what do the piston logs say happened?

For some reason, I am unable to change to the “Z-wave Lock” device handler.
When I select it from the list of device handlers and press update, I get this error message:
"# Access to graph.api.smartthings.com was denied

You don’t have authorization to view this page.

HTTP ERROR 403"

Also when i look at the properties for the DH I am currently using i see this:
Current States:
Battery:100 %
Lock: Unlocked

So obviously, the DH knows that the lock is unlocked. Why doesn’t the piston see this?

And thoughts on all of this?

login to IDE at https://account.smartthings.com using an incognito/private tab in your browser

if you lock the lock, does the status change there?

For some reason,no, I am not getting test messages from other pistons. I just edited another similar piston to 6:09 pm and did not get a message.
This Piston did not send me a message even though 2 of the switches
(light switches) were on.

Here is the log:
2/13/2020, 6:09:00 PM +734ms
+10ms ╔Received event [Cornerview].time = 1581635340000 with a delay of 732ms
+2823ms ║Runtime (38416 bytes) successfully initialized in 104ms (v0.3.10e.20190628) (2801ms)
+2824ms ║╔Execution stage started
+3475ms ║║Executed virtual command sendSMSNotification (380ms)
+3583ms ║╚Execution stage complete. (758ms)
+3684ms ║Setting up scheduled job for Fri, Feb 14 2020 @ 6:09:00 PM EST (in 86395.583s)
+3695ms ╚Event processed successfully (3694ms)

Does the line: Executed virtual command sendSMSNotification (380ms)
indicate that a message was actually sent, or that that line was processed in some way?

Why am I not getting the messages on my phone?

Text YES to 844-647 to opt in at any time to the ST SMS system (if you are in US) and see if they start sending, Also, there is a limit on the number of SMS messages sent per day. I believe it is 100

Maybe add a push notification as well.

Thank You!

Sending the text message to Smartthings did the trick.
What exactly does that do?

it opts you in to receive SMS messages from ST

With jkp’s help I got text messages working.
Your suggestion of using “If Device’s lock IS Not locked”
is working fine.
It looks like all is well now.

Not sure why I needed to do that.
I’ve been getting getting text messages for pistons for a couple years now. Can’t say for sure when I stopped getting them, today was the 1st time I realized they weren’t coming in.

my guess… end of September when ST made changes…