Best practice to trigger a piston with ST from Alexa/Goole Home

I just bought a samsung hub and I try to plan my house.

I was wondering was was the best practice to run a WebCoRE piston from a Google Home routine in 2019. All the posts are old or not clear.

I understand there’s 2 ways but is one faster than the other, more reliable, less buggy?

1. Make Google home (GH) routine to trigger a Smartthings routine who contains a scene change or is just empty. Make the piston run when the routine is run.
  2. Change a virtual switch with a GH routine to on. Make the piston run when the switch is turned on. But at the end of the piston the piston need to turn off the switch.

Is there easier ways to run a webCoRE to change a global variable with my voice with Google Home? Can the piston listen on a scene change from google home instead of a smartthings routine?

How YOU use your google home / Smartthings / WebCoRE? Is your routines are in google home or smartthings? Do you use scenes? Do you use ifttt - virtual switches?

Thanks

After switching to Webcore and realizing it’s pottential, I completely stopped using anything else.
No scenes, home status etc.

The only outside source I have is Alexa and simulated switches and sometimes executing a piston by using piston’s URL.

Good luck with the new design, I’m sure you’d love Webcore.

I agree with Ike. WebCoRE has replaced my Scenes and Routines, and IMO, does a much better job.
For example, a piston in webCoRE can create a dynamic “scene”, so a single trigger can do different things based on other conditions. (Time, day of week, temperature, who’s home etc)

I create a Simulated Switch, and let Google or Alexa flip that switch, and nothing else. From that point onwards, webCoRE takes control, and takes action based on current conditions. (and resets the SimSwitch if needed)

For methods outside of Alexa/Google, the External URL is very quick to respond, so I often go that route…

I only use IFTTT as a last resort, due to the lag.

I agree with Ike. WebCoRE has replaced my Scenes and Routines, and IMO, does a much better job.
For example, a piston in webCoRE can create a dynamic “scene”, so a single trigger can do different things based on other conditions. (Time, day of week, temperature, who’s home etc)

I create a Simulated Switch, and let Google or Alexa flip that switch, and nothing else. From that point onwards, webCoRE takes control, and takes action based on current conditions. (and resets the SimSwitch if needed)

For methods outside of Alexa/Google, the External URL is very quick to respond, so I often go that route…

I only use IFTTT as a last resort, due to the lag.

Yep…These guys have it down pat. WebCoRe is the best home automation tool out there. I let it control everything.

Yes I’ve found Webhooks useful to use Siri to trigger Webcore without installing Homebridge. The webhook is triggered thru IFTTT and yes I also use IFTTT(or any external source) sparingly. this allows me to use my voice outside the limit voice range of Aleexa or Google.