Configure HomeSeer Floodlight (HS-FLS100+) Lux setting

1) Give a description of the problem
I have a HomeSeer Flood Light (HS-FLS100+). One of the settings is the “Lux Value to Disable Sensor”. I’d like to set this value with a Piston, but I don’t see a way to do that.

2) What is the expected behavior?

• New task
  • select the Flood Light
  • Do…
  • device Set Lux…

But, it’s not there.

3) What is happening/not happening?
I don’t see a choice for Set Lux.

4) Post a Snapshot of the piston!

Device Handle screen grab:

Link to Device Handler code:
https://helpdesk.homeseer.com/article/213-how-to-add-hs-fls100-to-smartthings-hub

I do not have that device, but normally, the lux value is NOT settable by the user. It changes based on the amount of light reaching the sensor. (picture the old-school floodlights that would turn on when the sun set)

The way I understand their wording is:
You can program the device to ignore the motion sensor once the darkness reaches a certain level.
(or set it to 0 to always keep the motion sensor active)
My suggestion? Set it to 0 in your 2nd screenshot, and let webCoRE handle all of your logic.

When I code for lux values, I often approach it like this:

IF Lux value rises above 50
Then do stuff

(in other words, I use the lux value as a trigger or condition, not in an outgoing command)

Side note:
Each manufacturer of lux sensors usually has a different range of values, so you may need to do a bit of testing to see what values work best for you…

Thanks, but the “Lux Value to Disable Sensor” is a configurable property of the HS-FLS100+. It’s just like the “On Time Duration” and the “Lux Report Interval” (see mobile screenshot above). I’d like to be able to configure these settings through WebCoRE. Is that possible?

Thanks!

I am not sure, but I am a big fan of doing all my coding in webCoRE, which is why I recommended not using logic elsewhere.

I think I found a way to do it based on this post (by updating the Device Handler):

I think I might follow your advice and just do the light switching all via WebCoRE. The disadvantage is that the light trigger will be slower and won’t run at all if there’s an internet outage.

I working on this to…

The sensor currently only has two default states that can be set with WebCoRE…Lights on ALL the time or lights motion activated. There is no third state available to switch off the lights entirely unless you kill power to the lights (not possible in my case) or set Lux to 0 (0 - motion doesn’t control lights, 255 - motion always controls lights).

To introduce the 3rd state (always off), it looks like the HomeSeer device handler needs to be modified so that WebCoRE can actually change the Lux setting for the device. The device handler code doesn’t allow that to happen right now (as far as I can see). The device handler code won’t even allow Lux settings of 0 & 255…it min/max’s it to 30 & 200.

HomeSeer said they their not interested in modifying the device handler code. I can see what’s wrong but have no idea how to change the device handler code appropriately.

Anyone done this, thinking of doing this (based on the above need), or just wants to give it a shot? There will be a few appreciative people!

I modified the Device Handler to allow manually setting the LuxDisableValue Setting to zero by editing line 55 like so:

input ( "luxDisableValue", "number", title: "Lux Value to Disable Sensor: (30-200 lux, 0 to disable, 255 Motion Only) [default: 50]", defaultValue: 50, range: "0..255", required: false)       

This doesn’t allow you to change the LuxDisableValue via webCore, but once you set it to 0 via the SmartThings app, you can handle the light on/off yourself in webCore.

Here is a link to a modified DTH for the HS-FLS100+ (with thanks for help to Nate Schwartz) which allows for WebCore control of lux threshold and reporting time for the motion detector (which is also the on-time for the light). It also has the changes noted by @lwalker to allow for manual update of the lux settings to the special cases of 0 and 255 which are not possible in the DTH as released by HomeSeer.

I used the DTH from @Bruce_Young to achieve this.