Dashboard tiles extra wide

1) Give a description of the problem
On my dashboard, I am trying to make tile images display wider than normal. All my testing has found either standard square tiles like this:

moonimage

Or if I do something like this:
Set piston tile #1 to “[img wide=1 src=http://www.example.com/cool.jpg|]”
I can create a 16:9 ratio:

index

It appears that setting wide to anything other than ‘1’ will make it square.

2) What is the expected behavior?
I would love to be able to have a tile like this on my dashboard:

stilerain2

3) What is happening/not happening?
Does anyone have a trick to making the image tiles wider? I know I can make the tiles bigger all around, but I am only looking for more width.

I am currently beating the system by making two tiles side by side like this:

temp

But this creates double overhead, and still isn’t wide enough

Nope… only square and 16:9 as you have already discovered.

Would certainly be a nice feature though… I’ve moved this thread to the feature suggestions category and hopefully it will get picked up one day.

Thanks for an update @Robin.

If I could add one request to this. Maybe something like wide=2 to be the same width as two standard tiles (including the space between) and width=3 to equal 3 tiles wide (including the 2 spaces between)

If not this, then at least allow decimals in width (or precise pixel width even better) so we can tweak it so it aligns with all of our other tiles. Currently, It really looses aesthetics with the 16:9 tile ruining the layout (flow) of the rest of the row.

Haha… OCD is getting the better of you lol!

But I agree, 16:9 not lining up with square tiles looks kinda messy!!

Btw… based on your various tile posts, I’d love to see your overall dashboard at some point…

LOL, you found me out!

I guess my reluctance has been because many of my favorite tiles utilize PHP code a friend made from scratch… and it’s running on a private server… So they would be kind of tricky to share with others. (I have been coding the webCoRE side, and he has been coding the PHP side)

As far as I know, the plan is once the bugs have been ironed out, we are hoping to be able to share some of the PHP code so people can install the bonus features on their own server. Not for the faint of heart, but DAMN… Some of these are just too darn cool to keep to ourselves!

For example the moon tile above not only shows the current moon phase, but it also shows the distance from the Earth based on the size of the Moon within the tile. (thin black border = perigee, and thick black border = apogee) For reference, the Moon is currently near the middle point now (52%)

Here is a Photoshop version of the two extremes side by side:

compare

Not sure I need to know where the moon is lol… but then I don’t live in a tidal zone!

True. We are both astronomy buffs… but this was really just an experiment into what is possible with webCoRE. We like pushing the boundaries whenever possible.

I admit… A lot of my ideas have been pushed to the back burner until I am able to control the size of the image displayed on my dashboard… Hence, my creating this thread here, LOL