Door Left Open Reminder - Configurable by Individual Contact

Thanks for the help. I will test it out today and let you know how it works.

@bthrock Hello, how would I add the time of contact open to this. So when the push is sent it says door has been open since 8:30pm which is 30 minutes? It is the time of open that I cannot figure out how to do.

I do not use this piston, but generally speaking:

IF Door's contact changes to open
Then
    Set variable {string} = $time
ELSE
    Set variable {string} = " "   <-- This clears the time when the door closes
END IF

IF another trigger happens
Then
    Send PUSH notification = "Door has been open since {string}"
END IF

That is actually exactly what I did, but every time it runs, it gives the current time and not the time it opened.

I cannot see what is stored in {doorsToCheck}, but keep in mind that every execution above will set a fresh new {timeOpened}. (line 47)

My advice was to set the variable only at the moment the door opens.
(not at every execution)

Here is the whole thing, where would I put it? Line 61?

Ahhhā€¦ That piston has no triggersā€¦

How are you planning on detecting when the door opens if you are not subscribed to that event?

Same setup as in this post, 2 pistons, there is the Trigger piston.

That one could partially workā€¦

I mean, the $time will always be 2 minutes off, and will not properly set unless the Location is Disarmedā€¦ but itā€™s fairly close to your goal. (you could always +2 at a later time to find the precise time)

so stick at line 27 and make it a global variable?

Wellā€¦

You are tracking multiple doors hereā€¦ but have them all sharing a single variableā€¦

This means each door opening will overwrite the previous times on all the other doors.

ok, this is getting complicated, maybe I just go with the minutes opened, lol.

My apologies. I generally only have a single trigger per pistonā€¦
(Which allows for MUCH more elegant coding possibilities)

I appreciate the help, I usually do as well, trying something new here. I am 95% what I wanted, should be good enough.

@wcmore I was curious, is it possible in the message expression to subtract the {timeOpenList[$device]} from $time ? If possible that would give me what I need.

This was essentially what I was going to suggest when I read your original post this morning. Iā€™m happy to help, but I donā€™t want to work with or through the modifications that have been suggested thus far. @WCmoreā€™s advice is usually solid, but in this instance his lack of familiarity with the piston is complicating matters unnecessarily.

@bthrock Thank you for helping. My 2 pistons are exactly as you have them in post #1. I have removed the 1 variable that I created. The only thing I have changed is the push notification to give me the minutes instead of the rounding you had.

I am not good with expressions at all, how would you do this?
The #s are set at 2 for testing only.

Pleaseā€¦ by all means. I was probably out of line by trying to help in your thread, LOL

To display the time the door was opened the expression would be:

formatDateTime(addMinutes($time,-timeOpenList[$device]),ā€œh:mm aā€)

You can, of course, modify the time format as needed.

Also, with each of your PUSH notifications be sure to add ā€œand store in messagesā€ to maintain compatibility with the new ST app. Once you have it working you can, of course, modify or simplify the notifications section as needed.

Iā€™m generally happy for any help I can get because I donā€™t always have the time to jump in. You and I may have a few differences in how we approach some things, but usually end up in the same place. This time, however, when I started reading my eyes kind of popped open. :joy:

Iā€™ve been meaning to post an updated version of this piston to reflect the changes needed for the new ST app and to simplify/declutter the notification section, but I keep getting dragged away elsewhere. Guess Iā€™ll have to get on that now.