Future of graphs (and annotations) - Fuel Streams

After playing around with Fuel Streams a bit, I would like to offer the following suggestion.

WebCore does a wonderful job giving people tools to create simple and complex automations for their home. Fuel Streams are cute but ultimately seem to come short for advanced users; putting together a scalable, reliable (and hosted) TSB (TSDB) and accompanying graph engine and customizable portal is a lot of work. In my opinion that’s not what the developers should focus on.

Leveraging the simple Web Request action, I was able to, after having built a proxy in node.js, push metrics to a Graphite server (there are hosted Graphite as well as other TSDB). I was able to also push annotations (presence and other events) to my system.

I am happy to guide others to achieve the same and share my proxy code once I clean it up.

I’d certainly be interested to see what you created in nodejs.
Is that grafana dashboard pulling data from graphite?

@allrak, thanks for asking.

Webcore -> Make Web Request -> (my node.js) webcore_proxy -> statsd (UDP call) -> Graphite -> Grafana

I could probably avoid the statsd part for personal use and go directly to Graphite. Ideally Graphite would have a web API for pushing metrics but I don’t think it does. Graphite 2.0 maybe will (sponsored by the Grafana people AFAIK).

For annotations, I decided to use the Grafana ones instead of the Graphite ones that are an afterthought:

Webcore -> Make Web Request -> (my node.js) webcore_proxy -> Grafana (POST call)

I’ll push the proxy to GitHub once I clean up the secrets and set up a config file

Excellent, I’m doing something very similar through ST using the “influxDB logger” ST app.
That would be cool to make web requests write from a piston and be able to setup my own graph.
How difficult would it be to send the data to an influxdb from your node.js proxy?

EDIT: Thinking about it, I could probably modify what I needed in your code to send it to influx.

I think it would be very trivial, I use the statsd API. You could use statsd to aggregate your metrics into InfluxDB or even call InfluxDB directly (for personal use). You’ll see the code.

Cool, looking forward to checking it out. I’m not a java person, but have some limited python experience. So I should be able to figure it out.

@allrak : here it is: https://github.com/edasque/Webcore-Proxy

Start it with a yarn install or a npm install followed by a npm start when in src