[Install Instructions] webCoRE Presence Sensor on your Android (beta)

Never got the webcore version to work for me. Moved on to this and never looked back --> https://community.smartthings.com/t/release-improved-mobile-presence-android-only/102492

Yes I had looked at this. Unfortunately we live in a place that does not have an abundance of free wi-fi to connect to depending on where we are, in order to recognize our locations.

Also, I could not tell if you actually had to connect to the wi-fi of another location or if it would accept wi-fi NEAR like Tasker does (I used to have a tasker profile that kept track of many ā€œsafeā€ locations using wi-fi Near to turn off my lock screen before the advent of fingerprints).

The beauty of the WC Presence sensor is that I can define all the locations in WC. And then just install the app on everyoneā€™s phone and authenticate the browser.

Thatā€™s a pretty neat setup. The mobile presence does require you to be connected to trigger unfortunately.

Yes it worked really well. In most places I was connected to wi-fi but in some places like some work contracts, they did not supply wifi for personal phonesā€¦so the ā€œnearā€ worked great. And now I live in a place that has very little public wifi so we never connect at the grocery store or gym or a couple other places we frequent.

I did set up this method yesterday so for now at least I have reliable presence at home.

The search continuesā€¦or re-write my tasker stuff :smirk:

For what itā€™s worth, Tasker lets you export any Profile / Task / or Project.

This makes it easy to import any complex logic to another device, without re-writing the code for each family member.

Yupā€¦just means I have to make a trip to the hairdresser to do the initial set up for my wifeā€™s phone :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: and not sure they have any wifi at all.

Going to play with geo-fences and Tasker first. But either way I would need to transfer it to other phones.

Google and phone manufacturers seem to want to know exactly where we are all day long, but not so happy it seems to let us have the same info about our own phones. This should not be so hard. Maybe go back to Android 5.

If they do not, hopefully the business next door has one.
For WiFi Near, that works well tooā€¦

Hi All,

My presence sensor stopped working - wifeā€™s is still ok. I deleted the app and reinstalled but canā€™t get green sq to come up on first install. tried to clear cache as others have done but its iPhone and clearing the cache does not seem to be a function.

any help please

Iā€™m stuck at stage 6, the button wont show up also when i try to log in to ā€œRegister instanceā€ with the 4 caracter code it keep bringning me back to the main menu of webcore.

Any idea how to sole my isue?

I have read all the coment and didnā€™t find anything that work for me.

Alot of people are talking about batery drain. Is there an alternative to this method that did not have significant battery usage?

tank you all. (Iā€™m new to all this webcore universe and ST)

On my Androids, I use Tasker ($3.50) & itā€™s plugin called AutoLocation ($1.50) for presence detection. Both apps combined use about 1 - 1.5% of my battery each day. They have a high learning curve, but are both very powerful.

IE: I programmed mine to be ultra sensitive at certain times (battery hog) and automatically reduce to low battery consumption at other times of the day. (based on time/location/WiFi nearby/battery level etc) Taking it one step farther, on most devices, Tasker can automatically turn on/off GPS at certain times or locations, to save battery even more.

Tasker also has the ability to trigger pistons, so getting that data into your SmartHome is very easy.
(the time consuming part is learning / programming Tasker)

Note, both apps have a free trial, but the advanced features only appear once purchased.
(Donā€™t buy more than one. It will work on all of your Androids)

Is this the most up to date way to do this? I know ST and WebCore have both had updates since 2020.

Does anyone have a solution for @lewisward?
I have a Samsung Glalxy S8 and my webCore presence sensor doesnā€™t seem to be working. I attempted to logout, clear the cache, uninstall, reboot, reinstall but the webCore app wonā€™t allow me to add a presence sensor back.

Iā€™ve removed my home location and reinstalled the app a bunch of times but that elusive button never returns. Iā€™m not sure if it is a setting in my account or registered instance, or if my device is holding on to something that uninstalling doesnā€™t clear out.

My ST app is updated and Iā€™ve got the device handler installed in IDE.

Any help is appreciated, I miss having my lights turn on when I get home.

At this point, you should be looking at alternatives as webcore will only work for 5 more weeks before it gets shut down on the ST platform.

Does this presence sensor work with Hubitat instance?
Iā€™m in process of moving away from ST over to HE and have a couple of pistons and use cases for ActionTiles which need this sensor.

Presence with cell phones has notoriously been problematic. I cannot get any accuracy at all.There are several discussions in the Hubitat forums on the issues.

There are several presence options on HE including the HE mobile app, life360, etc.

Iā€™ve had reasonable behavior with life360.