Laundry Piston not working

1) Give a description of the problem
(PUT YOUR INFO HERE)
I’m trying to use a Samsung Smart switch to control my Washing machine. I want to ensure that when the wash is complete to notify me. Thus, I noticed that while the wash is in “sensing mode” or in a stopped state between cycles its running at 2 Watts. Thus, I set a rule for if the contact sensor is closed (the lid of the washing machine) and the washing machine is sitting at 2 watts or lower for 5 minutes send me a notification. I’m simply not getting a notification regardless if I select PUSH or choose SMS.

2) What is the expected behaviour?
(PUT YOUR INFO HERE) To be notified if the Washing machine is complete per it matching being below a certain wattage

3) What is happening/not happening?
(PUT YOUR INFO HERE) I’m not being notified

4) Post a Green Snapshot of the pistonimage
(UPLOAD YOUR IMAGE HERE)

5) Attach logs after turning logging level to Full
(PASTE YOUR LOGS HERE THEN HIGHLIGHT ALL OF THE LOGS AND CLICK ON THE </> ICON TO FORMAT THEM CORRECTLY)

Logs

8/2/2020, 5:11:48 PM +986ms
+0ms ╔Received event [Home].test = 1596402708985 with a delay of 0ms
+58ms ║RunTime Analysis CS &gt; 14ms &gt; PS &gt; 29ms &gt; PE &gt; 15ms &gt; CE
+61ms ║Runtime (37518 bytes) successfully initialized in 29ms (v0.3.110.20191009) (60ms)
+62ms ║╔Execution stage started
+74ms ║║Comparison (decimal) 0.0 stays_less_than (integer) 2 = true (2ms)
+77ms ║║Adding a timed trigger schedule for condition 2
+79ms ║║Cancelling condition #2's schedules...
+80ms ║║Condition #2 evaluated false (13ms)
+81ms ║║Condition group #1 evaluated false (state did not change) (15ms)
+84ms ║║Condition group #6 evaluated true (state did not change) (1ms)
+87ms ║╚Execution stage complete. (25ms)
+88ms ║Setting up scheduled job for Sun, Aug 2 2020 @ 5:16:49 PM EDT (in 299.989s)
+102ms ╚Event processed successfully (102ms)
8/2/2020, 5:08:00 PM +554ms
+1ms ╔Received event [Home].time = 1596402481029 with a delay of -475ms
+171ms ║RunTime Analysis CS &gt; 55ms &gt; PS &gt; 95ms &gt; PE &gt; 20ms &gt; CE
+173ms ║Runtime (37524 bytes) successfully initialized in 95ms (v0.3.110.20191009) (169ms)
+174ms ║╔Execution stage started
+180ms ║║Cancelling condition #2's schedules...
+181ms ║║Condition #2 evaluated true (2ms)
+190ms ║║Comparison (enum) open is (string) closed = false (1ms)
+191ms ║║Cancelling condition #5's schedules...
+192ms ║║Condition #5 evaluated false (10ms)
+193ms ║║Condition group #1 evaluated false (state did not change) (14ms)
+196ms ║║Condition group #6 evaluated true (state did not change) (0ms)
+198ms ║╚Execution stage complete. (24ms)
+199ms ╚Event processed successfully (199ms)
8/2/2020, 5:03:30 PM +158ms
+0ms ╔Received event [Home].test = 1596402210157 with a delay of 0ms
+85ms ║RunTime Analysis CS &gt; 19ms &gt; PS &gt; 45ms &gt; PE &gt; 21ms &gt; CE
+87ms ║Runtime (37520 bytes) successfully initialized in 45ms (v0.3.110.20191009) (86ms)
+88ms ║╔Execution stage started
+100ms ║║Comparison (decimal) 0.0 stays_less_than (integer) 2 = true (2ms)
+115ms ║║Condition #2 evaluated false (22ms)
+116ms ║║Condition group #1 evaluated false (state did not change) (23ms)
+118ms ║║Condition group #6 evaluated true (state did not change) (0ms)
+138ms ║╚Execution stage complete. (50ms)
+139ms ║Setting up scheduled job for Sun, Aug 2 2020 @ 5:08:01 PM EDT (in 270.732s)
+153ms ╚Event processed successfully (153ms)
8/2/2020, 5:03:28 PM +426ms
+1ms ╔Received event [Home].test = 1596402208426 with a delay of 0ms
+68ms ║RunTime Analysis CS &gt; 18ms &gt; PS &gt; 32ms &gt; PE &gt; 17ms &gt; CE
+71ms ║Runtime (37520 bytes) successfully initialized in 32ms (v0.3.110.20191009) (68ms)
+72ms ║╔Execution stage started
+84ms ║║Comparison (decimal) 0.0 stays_less_than (integer) 2 = true (2ms)
+99ms ║║Condition #2 evaluated false (23ms)
+101ms ║║Condition group #1 evaluated false (state did not change) (24ms)
+103ms ║║Condition group #6 evaluated true (state did not change) (0ms)
+120ms ║╚Execution stage complete. (48ms)
+123ms ║Setting up scheduled job for Sun, Aug 2 2020 @ 5:08:01 PM EDT (in 272.481s)
+134ms ╚Event processed successfully (134ms)

Hello, and welcome to the wonderful world of smart home programming!

A few things come to mind with this one, but let’s start with the easy ones first:

(1) The lid was open during your test, so no PUSH was sent

(2) Pushing Test will not send the PUSH. It will only begin the 5 min timer.
(which can temporarily be lowered for testing)

This second tip assumes that you have already tested PUSH in other pistons, and they work well over there. If that is not the case, and this is in fact your first PUSH attempt, please say so, and we’ll cover that first.

This is my first Piston. But the fact is neither a SMS or Push work

OK cool. Can you import this piston, by
pic
and once saved, press Test.

pic

This simple test (with no triggers) is just so we can press Test to quickly confirm that your devices are setup correctly for PUSH to work.

Are you asking to see the logs after pressing test or verify if I actually get a push? If so, I didn’t get a push LOL

I guess its a setting within Smartthings?

OK, thanks for that info. Can you verify on your phone that you are logged into SmartThings app, and can control devices from there?

I also double check notifications in that app by going to:
ST app > Hamburger > Notifications

Also note that (I believe) on the new SmartThings app, you have to check “Store in messages” in the piston for the PUSH to work.

pic

Can someone with the new app please verify this?

I had notifications selected on in the new smarthings app. I did see the other option to store messages. But all the Youtube videos I saw had that value as false thus mine was set to false. I can easily try it again after setting it to true.

Still no notifications after ensuring notifications are set on within the smart things app, and store in messages set to true. Also, I cant get SMS either.

Note that to get any SMS messages, you must be using a US phone number and opt in as described in this article:

Strange. There are others having this notification problem with the new app but according to the thread below, “store in messages” should be the fix to get it working.

I think it just worked. Just was delayed. So, I will simply need to work with the time. Does anyone have a code for a dryer using a contact sensor. Specifically the Samsung multi sensor?
I know you can do it with a magnet on the turn knob.

But does the sensors on the door work or will it be unreliable and doing the magnet way or someone turn the large dryer electrical connector to a standard connector to use with another smart switch is the way to go?

If I were to use the contact sensor I’d want a rule that is something along the lines of:

If the contact is closed and theirs vibration then the wash is running. If the contact is closed under some threshold after the vibration stopped then the wash is done.

Does anyone have any experience to let me know if this will be a reliable method and can I see their code?

Anyone have a code for a dryer with a contact sensor?

There are a good handful of threads discussing this very thing.
Some use door sensor. Some vibration. Some power.
(or orientation to detect when it has been emptied)

If memory serves me right, there may have even been one revolving around a dishwasher.
(same concept, different appliance)

No matter which path you choose, I believe the first step will be to study your current data coming in to that device. (in this case, before, during and after a load of laundry)

Without understanding the patterns of a particular machine (and it’s cycles), it’ll be a crap shoot when programming.

Unfortunately, there is no “one-size-fits-all” here…

I do not want to sound discouraging, but in all honesty, this piston will likely frustrate (even the experts), so it might not be the best way to get your feet wet in webCoRE.

That being said, if you are determined to make this your first piston, then starting with someone else’s piston, (and trying to tweak it for your use), sounds the most sane approach.

The washer Piston i created is working perfectly. The only thing I did wss set it to true and store messages. Im onto the dryer one now. So far I have that if the door is shut and theirs no vibration the wash is finished.

Yet if you open and shut the dryer door theirs Vibration. So a few seconds later it detects that their is no vibration and it sends out a notification.
Obviously i need to skip it thinking opening and shutting it is a vibration that ends.

My apologies… I do not have time to “re-invent the wheel”…
(at least, not while “off-the-clock”)