Lights will not turn off

1) Give a description of the problem
The lights do not turn off

2) What is the expected behaviour?
The lights should turn off

3) What is happening/not happening?
I thought maybe it had something to do with mixing LIFX with ZWave devices, so I separated them, but they do not turn off

4) Post a Green Snapshot of the pistonimage

5) Attach logs after turning logging level to Full
(PASTE YOUR LOGS HERE THEN HIGHLIGHT ALL OF THE LOGS AND CLICK ON THE </> ICON TO FORMAT THEM CORRECTLY)

REMOVE BELOW AFTER READING
If a solution is found for your question then please mark the post as the solution.

Where is your trigger?

Currently, this piston will never execute unless something EXTERNAL activates it…

Try putting a small delay before the turn off. Maybe 2 seconds to begin with.

@WCmore Another piston calls it. This allows me to troubleshoot more effectively and less invasively.
@Rizlah I tried 5 seconds previously and it didn’t seem to help.

Your piston does not look bad… (although I would drop the useless ASYNCs)

Please clear your log, turn level to Full and post here after an error so we can see what is happening behind the scenes…

Side Note:

I never mix Dimmers, Outlets and/or Switches in the same command…
(If I must group commands, it’s always by Device Handlers)

@WCmore, Thanks. I separated by DTH. I also removed the asyncs, but don’t understand why. Wouldn’t they make the separate statements execute at the same time? Here’s the current version:

I’ll get the log later when I have a chance to test.

With SmartThings, there is no such thing as “at the same time”… Every single command/step/trigger/action is handled one at a time.

ASYNCs do have a purpose, but they are rarely needed, and they often causes strange behavior in an otherwise working piston. (I use them in less than 1% of my pistons)

Looking at the trace, it appears that (maybe like you just said) each LIFX bulb’s color gets changed one at a time (in series) taking 2-3 sec per bulb! Is there no way to force these sort of commands to run in parallel?

Most commands take 10-30ms each to execute… 2-3 seconds per bulb is not normal! I wonder what else you got going on over there…

Edit:

Don’t go by the times in the Trace… Go by the times in the Full log…

Yeah, this might have something to do with my LIFX bulbs all showing duplicate ‘placeholder’ devices recently. I think LIFX has been changing some things with their API and/or Connect SmartApp lately causing some strange behavior. I’m awaiting clarification from them. For now, I’ll probably just take the color and color temp change out of the piston.

For what it’s worth, color changes takes a bit longer than on/off commands… but still should be under a half second each.

You can easily test your network by turning off your PlayStation/Steam, Netflix/Hulu & current downloads to see if the piston responds quicker… (since even “dumb” devices can make your home network congested)

Pro Tip:

Some routers let you prioritize traffic… I usually make the ST hub the #1 priority…
(the test above will tell you if it’s worth tweaking QoS in your household)

@WCmore, Thank you. I have an Orbi router system which I don’t think has a configurable QoS capability.

I’ve forked this part of the conversation to here - LIFX lights turning on in sequence takes too long