Multiple Hubs passing variables

My question is simple. I have multiple hubs at my facility. Is there anyway make a switch on one hub control a light on another hub. Since Smartthings does not run on a PC, and I don’t want to invite everyone to use my smart things account. I was thinking I could pass a global variable, just not sure if anyone has done this.

Keith

Linking Garage to ST Home setup

It requires two pistons, one on each hub. The basic concept is:
On one hub’s piston you right click on “(click to open/execute)” and save the URL.
From the other hub’s piston, you can make a web request to that URL to execute it.

Normally, the piston on the ‘receiving’ hub (the one connected to the light) has no triggers whatsoever. You should see this when the piston is saved:

A working example can be found here.

Alternatively, since your crew has access to a PC, you could make a URL link on their desktop which will send the web request to the hub connected to the light. (only one piston is required with this method)

Is there a document to describe these external URL’s. I guess I am confused, I have read a lot about them and examples, but I don’t see a good document that defines how to set up the external web link. I don’t think you can just make up a URL and pass information.

Since my switch is just a gate, a url on all of the PCs in the office would work great to open the gate or turn on the switch. So my recieving hub can just listen for the web request. Now I just need to figure out how to create the URL.

At the top of every piston page (before you hit Edit) you can capture the URL from the highlighted region.

temp

Every piston you create will have it’s own unique URL.

That URL can execute that exact piston whenever anyone clicks on it.
(only share it with people that you trust)

It can be a link in a text message, a link in an email, a link in a personal HTML page, a link on a PC’s desktop, a link on your cell phones desktop, a link executed by a third party app etc. etc.

Anytime it is clicked, it will do the same thing as if you had manually pressed the TEST button.

This is why I recommend having NO triggers in that piston whatsoever.

Linking Garage to ST Home setup

Thanks, that was exactly what I was missing.

I created a Wiki page to go in a bit more detail…

Sorry to “revive” this old thread, but this page has been getting a lot of traffic…