Rooms Manager: Smarter Rooms: Personalized home automation with Occupancy

rooms
manager
occupancy
rules
automation

I was able to update the DTH and child app due to your update in the repo. I attempted to make a change to rooms manager and it shows as being modified, but it is not indicated as obsolete when I go to update from repo. I am sure I am just doing something wrong. Any recommendations?

Complete. But no changes. All room automation is still non-functional. Everything ceased functioning.

• go to ide logs
  • clear the logs
  • wait a couple of seconds
  • go ST mobile app
  • select a rooms occupancy device
  • click on the occupied button
  • check logs for any error
  • if any error post logs
  • along with screen shot of 2 screen of device tiles

Where can I access the logs in the IDE?

https://graph-na02-useast1.api.smartthings.com/ide/logs

hopefully that redirects to the right link for you … if not post back

I was able to clear the logs. It seems as though the motion sensors are triggering the occupied status correctly and switching the status of the rooms from vacant to occupied, however, the lights are not going on or off.

hmm … pick a simple one … check the rules … save the room then try again.

Seems like the Rule Type for each room needed to be set. Changed one so far and it appears to be functioning again.

I am trying to determine the “Room busy check” setting. How do the settings differ? For example, how is Light traffic different than Heavy traffic? I know this sounds obvious but there has to be something that sets them apart in the settings. Like if I choose “Light Traffic” in a room, does it detect motion quicker than if I select “Heavy Traffic”?

busy check state change is triggered by count of room state flipping between vacant <> checking <> occupied certain number of times in the last (motion timeout + dim timer) * 10 minutes. defaults to 30 minutes if motion timeout is not specified.

when count is:
5 = light traffic
7 = medium traffic
9 = heavy traffic

But if we select “Light Traffic” as the setting, does that keep the room occupied while only detecting motion a couple of times during the motion timeout?

if there were no other changes and the room changed to occupied twice because it detected motion within ((motion timeout + dim timer) * 10) minutes then it should not move the room from occupied to engaged.

Man I am thick today!:roll_eyes: So I still don’t understand the reason for setting this setting to Light, medium, heavy. It doesn’t seem to affect the (motion timeout + dim timer) * 10 equation. It seems that the settings needed are for the motion timeout and the dim timer(what is that?)

@bangali

I’ve been scratching my head if this use case (Master Bathroom) is feasible. We do not leave the door closed when unoccupied because we keep a water bowl for our dog in the bathroom for when we close the master bedroom doors and she cant get down to the kitchen… (Yeah … first world dog problems)

The bathroom has an Aeon Labs Multisensor (Motion, Lux, Humidity, etc), a few Lutron Caseta Switches for lights … and shortly a Caseta On/Off toggle switch for the exhaust fan (TBD)

What I am trying to work through logically with Rooms Manager is two sets of conditions

Normal Conditions:
If door CLOSES turn on lights
Light Traffic
If HUMIDITY is > 50% AND Door is still closed keep lights on
If door Opens wait 5m turn off lights

Abnormal Condition (aka Dont Blind Me At Night Please)
If Door Closes Turn set one specific light to 30%
keep it on until door opens and turn off

Not sure if this really fits the use case for the RM or if a simple piston is the way to go. I admit I havent fully groked the rules functionality and how they determine precedence … something I need to muck around with more

The “Asleep” idea we discussed isnt practical for WAF (I tried)

Curveballs that may be leaning me more to doing this via a piston … I want to have humidity levels trigger the switch I will be installing for the exhaust fan, etc. I have not seen a way to do this in the smart app.

Are there any docs for the app? I’ve been taking some notes based on our PMs and what I can glean from the threads but perhaps an “Idiot’s Guide” / FAQ would help?

:heart_decoration:

eh … my bad … i am not explaining it well enough. so here is another try:

– motion timeout is in occupied settings and used to timeout from occupied to checking state.
– dim timer also called the checking timer is in checking settings and used to transition from checking to vacant state.

lets say:
– motion timeout = 300 secs
– dim timer = 30 secs
– then (motion timeout + dim timer) * 10 = 3300 secs

• every time room state changes between occupied, checking and vacant if the state changes were outside of 3300 secs of each other the change is ignored.
  • but if those state change were within 3300 secs of each other then there is counter called room vacant counter which is incremented by 1.
  • when this room vacant counter = traffic setting that triggers the room state being set to engaged state.
  • so if is busy is set to light traffic then when room vacant counter = 5 the room state will be set to engaged and so on.

hope that helps. if not please ask.

man wish i was that lucky … my wife makes me go down to the kitchen to get water … for her :wink:

ok. the app does not handle humidity - yet. so heres the rules i would recommend:

occupied settings: set the motion sensor here and timeout to say 180 secs or something like that.
checking settings: set the timer here to 30 secs or so.
engaged settings: set the contact sensor here and motion timeout to say 1800 secs
rule 1 - name: occupied day, mode: modes other than night, switches: all lights to turn on, level: 80%
rules 2 - name: occupied night, mode: night mode, switches: 1 light to turn on, level: 30%
rules 3 - name: engaged day, mode: modes other than night, switches: all lights and fans to turn on, level: 80%
rules 4 - name: engaged night, mode: night mode, switches: 1 light and fans to turn on, level: 30%

this is off the top of my head … but that should do it.

got it. will keep thinking. but right now thinking of a combination of presence, time and motion to detect asleep … certainly not proof but might get us 90% there.

adding humidity is fairly simple. i could add humidity so you can create a separate rule for the fan independent of the light rules. so you would remove the fans from the switches to turn on in the rules and and create a new rule based on the humidity sensor to turn the fan on and off.

i am going to stop building features and start creating docs now. i have the wiki page started but need to work on material. that is right after i add the humidity trigger. :wink:

but seriously i wanted to get the app to a point where it meets most user needs. i think i am kind of there. now need to focus on docs. thank you for the reminder. :slight_smile:

i have the coding done for the humidity sensor. not tested yet but should work.

how long till you have this installed? :wink:

this or next weekend …

And when the room is set to Engaged it is waiting to see if there is any other motion before changing to Vacant, right?