Resolved: Geofencing with webCoRE on Hubitat?

Hi,

I posted about this in the HE forum megathread without realizing this forum existed … apologies to anyone who’s had to endure it in multiple places :smiley:

Does webCoRE geofencing currently work with Hubitat? I took steps that seemed fair (to my uneducated mind) but could not get the iOS app to save the sensor config, it just keeps dumping me back out to the Settings page … (webCoRE installed and working correctly otherwise as far as I can tell)

WebCore Presence on Hubitat

I was steered towards the Presence Sensor driver on GitHub. I think I’m good.

Thanks for coming back to update us… :sunglasses:

Perhaps you can leave a link so others may benefit in the future?

Certainly, I installed this driver on my HE:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/imnotbob/webCoRE/hubitat-patches/devicetypes/ady624/webcore-presence-sensor.src/webcore-presence-sensor.groovy

That allowed me to save the Presence Sensor in the iOS app.

Actually making geofencing rules seems to elude me right now, but I’m currently chalking this up to being at the wrong end of the learning curve :slight_smile:

Hi @martybird

Did you ever get the presence feature working on Hubitat, I have recently migrated to Hubitat and when trying to install the driver I get an metadata error.

Figured it out, I was trying to install it as an app in Hubitat rather than a driver. Seems the presence function is now installed!

Edit:I now just need to figure out how get the phones listed as presence sensors in Hubitat.

Hey - good to see you making progress, I think I did the exact same thing initially :blush:

iirc, once the app was installed on my phone I went into Settings for Places and was able to configure the phone there, which created the presence device in Hubitat, which I could then enable as an Available device in the webCoRE Hubitat app. Hopefully I’m not remembering it wrong, I think that’s how it went.

It works great btw. So much freedom to do whatever you want in webCoRE geofencing.

Thanks @martybird

I also managed to figure out what I needed to do there, I needed to open the webcore app, log out of the smartthings instance then log back in by providing the using the register a broswer code from hubitat.

Once I had done that it was then a case of adding home as a place and and registering the device as a presence sensor, it now shows up in Hubitat as a presence sensor, I havent tested it yet though but was working great on smartthings so suspect it will work good on hubitat too.

In my case this does not seem to show up in dashboards as a presence sensor, just an icon with a question mark. In devices it doesn’t react to any commands and it always shows away even if I force Present. Any thoughts? I thought this would act like Hubitat geofence and show present when inside the area and away when I leave.

EDIT: Never mind. It came to life over night. Everything seems to work like it should.

This is the worst geofence I have used. I have found that my Alexa and Hubitat geofence are the most reliable, they update almost instantly.
The Webcore geofence takes an hour or two to update. I have deleted this option. It sounds like it works for some people, but in my case, its a no .

I am finding that my webCoRE presence sensor updates as soon as I open the webCoRE app [Edit - and only when I open the app]. Permissions are set to allow location access always, and the HE presence seems to be working as expected. I expect that I am missing something.

I am using the driver linked earlier in the thread, and notice a preference labeled “Presence mode” - what exactly does this do? Not sure if it could be related.

Also installed WebCore Presence Sensors on Hubitat (HE). Was a longtime user of Webcore Presence Sensors on SmartThings. Everything seems to be working on HE, but I recently got an alert of “Excessive Events” and when I look at logs, it shows about 400-800 events per hour on each presence sensor.

Is this normal??

I’m not sure who has access to that code to understand it…

I’ve been using the WC presence sensor for about 4 months, and I got the same alert a few days ago for the first time.
If you look at the event log for it, it does generate. lot of events. Have you added more places it knows about? I noticed it seems to report distance to each of these when you change location.
I think I saw an option on HE to change the alert level for a particular device, but can’t remember exactly where now.

The option to increase number of events before alert is triggered is in the individual device settings. It defaults to 300 I think. But simply removing the alert won’t solve the problem why my Webcore Presence is triggering 400+ events per hour. I’m afraid this will ultimately bog down the hub.

And this is only happening on one of my smart phones. The other phone that has WC Presence seems to be working fine without excessive events.

I am not getting the proper updates from my webCoRE instance and was wondering where I may have gone wrong.

So here is what I have done:

1. I am using the HE instance of webCoRE
  2. I installed the webCoRE app on my iPhones (I deleted and remove the data from the old webCoRE app on our phones after moving to HE)
  3. Once I opened the reinstalled app on my phone, it recognized a new device and I create a new location called, ‘House’
  4. I installed the ady DH in HE so that I could access the additional information from the DH.
  5. The new ‘ady’ devices are listed in my HE device list and I changed the device handler to the ady DH.

I then have a HE webCoRE piston (exact copy of the ST version that was stable on ST) that uses the device and I is not working.

Thoughts?

I assume you added the device to WC and edited the piston to use the device?
Can you confirm the phone app connected to your new HE instance of webcore?
I have this working, I installed the WC presence sensor through package manager along with the rest of WC, so my device type is just “webcore presence sensor”.

Yes I did add the via the WC app on my phone (opened the HE instance with the code provided)

How do I know if the phone app is connected to the HE instance of webcore?

So when you open the HE app you are prompted to add the phone, which I did:

The second iPhone device was created once I opened and I thought linked the WC instance to HE.

The reason I want to use the WC iPhone instance is that the standard DH for the phone only has one state (presence):

It can be confusing!
You have 2 presence sensors, both on the iphone. One from the HE app, the other from the WC app, You need to have the correct device handler for each, which you seem to have. You can use either in WC dependant on which features you want to use.

What is the exact problem you’re seeing? From your earlier screenshot, the WC sensor appears to have reported information.

Well I got the piston working by using the manual presence override in the ady DH.

But I am now back to the geofencing not being recognized.

Any tips?