Rooms Manager: Smarter Rooms: Personalized home automation with Occupancy

rooms
manager
occupancy
rules
automation

I personaly like a cleaner look and i don’t use alof of the automation, i use a piston. I’ve only used this on my bedroom and i’ve got a pretty complicated usage there, as soon as i get my other motion sensors i will use it in more rooms. Only thing i dont really get what the state engaged is for. I only use the vacant, occupied and asleep states.

so, engaged allows you to keep the switches on without checking for motion timeout at the same interval that occupied state does.

watching TV in living room but dont want the lights to turn off on you because you are sitting in a sofa not moving much? you could set one of the options in the engaged section to keep the lights on in this scenario. examples:

1. if you pick the contact sensor to set engaged state and keep the door closed it will work for this scenario.
  2. or if you have an open living room with no doors hence no contacts but have a smart outlet that controls your TV power pick that outlet as the engaged switch in the engaged section, it will keep the lights on while you are still in the room and motionless.

things like this …

are there automation that you use in the bedroom that are not covered by this smartapp? may be some of them are generic in nature and could apply to other users? i could try to get them included in the smartapp.

Ahh i see, yea thats a good one! Well i have different actions when my bedroom is occupied or asleep. When occupied only my bedroom lights turn on. When asleep and motion detected my bedroom lights turn on dimmed and my living room lights turn on (because i dont have a motion sensor yet for my living room).

i think this could be done in the app as it is today by defining the right switches, dim levels and modes. have you tried that already?

@stevehweb: since the rooms manager and associated child app and DTH is self contained and does not depend on pistons moving the discussion here.

which version are you using? if not on the latest from github please update and retry. if on the latest version please confirm and i will dig in further.

ok, just checking to see if I misunderstand how this should work natively. I installed the DTH, app and child app. I created 6 rooms and put all of the devices in the rooms. I configured the time frames and alarm types for it to work under or disable the automation.

Now I never get an event that will change the room state. I can move in the room, triggering the motion, and it still stays vacant. I have never had an event since I created the rooms and the first three events trigger (basement bathroom number of button is 8, basement bathroom changed to vacant, basement bathroom button 3 was pushed)

I get these on all of my rooms but nothing ever changes…and it has been 4 days.

I should add, I have not created anything in webcore for these yet. just set up the apps and rooms.

did you install using github? here are the details:

for a github install use : owner: adey / name: bangali / branch: master

UPDATE: updated version 0.05.0 to github with the following changes:

*  Version: 0.05.0
*   DONE:   11/13/2017
*   1) expanded the adjacent room settings. if you specify adjacent rooms you can choose 2 options:
*       i) if there is motion in an adjacent room you can force the current room to check for motion and on no
*           motion change room state to vacant.
*      ii) if there is motion in an adjacent room you can turn on lights in this room if it is currently vacant.
*           this allows for the adjacent rooms feature to be used as a light your pathway can kind of setup.
*   2) some bug fixes.

I had updated a week or so ago and had no success with the rooms changing back to vacant - but the latest version seems to be working perfectly. Thank you!

[DEPRECIATED]....... Post Withdrawn By Author!

i updated the app, child app and DTH. I still do not have any updates to the occupancy of the rooms??

strange. have you tried removing the bathroom and recreating it again? or at least go in to bathroom “room” and save it again. then try first?

looking at the images again the DTH may not have been updated recently … the null at the bottom of the status message should not be there.

please try updating the DTH followed by the 2 smartapps if needed. then go to rooms manager, click the room and check your options then save it and try.

Piston Question: Bathroom Lighting
Turn Lights on?

UPDATE: updated version 0.05.1 to github with the following changes:

*  Version: 0.05.1
*   DONE:   11/15/2017
*   1) added setting to select which days of week this rooms automation should run.

UPDATE: updated version 0.05.5. I added a feature for the asleep state to this app. Now you can add a sleep sensor to see if you’re asleep or not. When you’re asleep and motion is detected it is possible to dim the switches before they go on. This way the lights aren’t so bright when you have to get up in the night. When you go back to bed it’s possible to toggle the lights with a button. Thank you @bangali for letting me in on this little project :smiley:

you are welcome @johhnwilliam … thats what open source projects are for. thank you for your contribution :smiley:

UPDATE: updated version 0.05.7 to github with the following changes:

*  Version: 0.05.7
*   DONE:   11/20/2017
*   1) added support for room busy check.
*   2) added support for arrival and/or departure action when using presence sensor.
*   3) some bug fixes.

UPDATE: updated version 0.05.8 & 0.05.9 to github with the following changes. some from @johhnwilliam and others from me.

if you are using Rooms Occupancy with say wC note that “occupancyStatus” is now called “occupancy”. there is no impact if used from ST app only. sorry for the breaking change.

*  Version: 0.05.9
*   DONE:   11/21/2017
*   1) changed name of 'occupancyStatus' to just 'occupancy' to be consistent with ST.
*   2) added switches to turn on and off when room changes to asleep. switches set to turn on are also turned off
*           when room changes away from asleep.
*   2) some bug fixes.
*  Version: 0.05.8
*   DONE:   11/20/2017
*   1) Changed configuration pages

this is a good idea. let me see if i can add this to rooms occupancy. rooms occupancy currently supports setting the light levels when room is in asleep state and there is motion. but the feature you suggested would need a bit more flexibility than that. will think about it.

thanks for suggesting it.

How would I go about setting the Bathroom to only turn on lights 1% when in Sleep mode. But when in all other Modes, turn on Lights 100%?

Cheers