Rooms Manager: Smarter Rooms: Personalized home automation with Occupancy

rooms
manager
occupancy
rules
automation

in rooms anyone using these 2 features:

1. use music player playing to set room to engaged?
  1. set window shade position using rules?

if not … I am thinking of deprecating these.

thank you.

Any reason you dont have a time range for asleep settings? Ex. During hours 12am-6am turn room into sleep settings.

because no ones asked for it before? :slight_smile:

I am just trying to understand how a room would go to asleep mode. Motion is temporary and contact sensors will just report open closed.

I have a room where we leave the door open so the contact sensor will show open most of the time. The motion sensor will detect motion when I walk in but not when we go to sleep. So how would the SApp know that there are people still in the room and set the mode to asleep?

typically users use the following to set a room to asleep state:

1. sleep sensor
  2. button
  3. switch
  4. power value

the others are more obvious but for power value some users like to set the room to asleep when they put their phone to charge on a connected outlet in the bedroom.

in asleep state to not turn on the lights … motion is ignored unless you have night switches specified … in which case the night lights will be turned on in asleep state with motion based on settings.

thinking back someone else may have asked for setting asleep state and back with time … i just may have forgotten about it. if that is the most convenient for you … i am happy to add that as an option.

I understand but that depends on something that might change. Time is constant while the other options is something you have to manually set. The engaged and occupy states are more automated in my opinion in this app. It allows for the room to be polled for motion or a switch (TV on, Camera motion) since people are not asleep there is more use case of turning on a tv or motion being recorded, but with sleep you are asleep. I would think that a setting to set your sleep hours would make sense to automate that state.

With all that said, I am diving into your app and learning what works and what doesnt for my particular set-up. Well done BTW.

the sleep sensor option is also quite automated. you go to bed and the room changes to asleep. you get out of bed and the room changes to awake.

will add.

happy experimenting with different options. thank you.

heres another feature that i dont think anyone is using. so going to deprecate this unless i hear back otherwise. :slight_smile:

rooms occupancy device lets you setup an alarm for the room and play from a selection of sounds at alarm time with the rooms music player.

if you are using this feature please ping back here.

thank you.

True but that is yet another piece of hardware

updated to github with the following changes:

this part is important so please do this after saving the driver and all apps:

REQUIRES SAVING ROOMS MANAGER, ROOMS CHILD APP AND ROOMS VACATION SETTINGS AFTER UPDATING CODE SINCE DEVICE SUBSCRIPTIONS HAVE CHANGED.

Version: 0.99.0

DONE:   11/20/2018

1) performance optimizations for hubitat along with:
	- **REQUIRES SAVING ROOMS MANAGER, ROOMS CHILD APP AND ROOMS VACATION SETTINGS AFTER UPDATING CODE SINCE SUBSCRIPTIONS HAVE CHANGED.**
	- heavy code reuse
	- deprecated code for alarm settings in rooms occupancy device
	- deprecated code for setting room to engaged with music player
	- deprecated code for setting window shades with rules
	- moved settings view code to new rooms child settings app so its take it out of runtime
		- **REQUIRES SAVING ROOMS CHILD SETTINGS CODE AS A NEW APP.**
2) added option to set room to asleep at time of day

how is set the room to asleep at a configured time working out?

I haven’t had time to test it but I just looked and I see that you have a sleep time to start but you don’t have an end time. I would suggest having an end time be something like sunrise or an actual number because essentially what we’re trying to say is typically these are the times when I sleep.

there is a timeout for asleep state … isn’t there? :slight_smile:

Timeout is a calculated value. My point is sleep occurs between two time periods. So for that state my.mind sees it as start and end time. Timeout works for states that rely on a sensor or motion because you are waiting for the sensor to close or motion to turn to inactive. Just my thoughts.

sure. say one sleeps from 11 pm to 6 am. in asleep settings if one were to set:

• sets room changes to asleep at 11 pm
  • sets the asleep timeout to 420 mins

that would set the room to asleep state at 11 pm and unset asleep state at 6 am.

doesn’t that work?

updated to github with the following changes:

Version: 0.99.1

DONE:   12/01/2018

1) added parent/child version check.
	- first version that checks when settings are saved
	- next version will also check at runtime
	- **in 99.9% of the cases if you see any error in the logs this is the cause. i.e. rooms code was only partially updated or settings for all apps/(DTH || driver) were not saved when updating the code resulting in these errors.**
2) added feature back for room engaged with music
	- if using this feature remember to save settings for this room if its already been setup
3) added recovery for recurring processing if those schedules get cancelled
4) changed countdown timer display to 30 second interval because some users are impatient when watching the countdown to make sure it works ;-)
5) fixed bug for contact sensor spoken announcement and hidden percentage change trigger for humidity rule value

Sure but you would have to calculate the number of minutes. I just think it would be easier for a start and end time like Webcore has.

change the asleep timeout to accept hours or mins? when < 25 it will be treated as hours anything ≥ 25 will be treated as minutes? :slight_smile:

with the asleep timeout setting already there if i introduce another way to timeout from asleep state i am just concerned that will create confusion for users.

No just have the ability to use the drop-down Links to pick the time ranges. It’s fine how it is right now. I was just looking to how SmartThings do it and webcore because you can easily select start and end time by the time not minutes.

Greetings… Rooms Manager newbie here. :slight_smile:

@bangali… Is there a way to turn off a light after a room is no longer occupied?
I don’t need the light turned on, just turned off.

Or is it just better to just write something up with WebCoRE… if no motion for x minutes, turn off light.

I’m thinking Rooms Manager may have better algorithms for determining weather or not a room is occupied.