Rooms Manager: Smarter Rooms: Personalized home automation with Occupancy

rooms
manager
occupancy
rules
automation

i think this could be done in the app as it is today by defining the right switches, dim levels and modes. have you tried that already?

@stevehweb: since the rooms manager and associated child app and DTH is self contained and does not depend on pistons moving the discussion here.

which version are you using? if not on the latest from github please update and retry. if on the latest version please confirm and i will dig in further.

ok, just checking to see if I misunderstand how this should work natively. I installed the DTH, app and child app. I created 6 rooms and put all of the devices in the rooms. I configured the time frames and alarm types for it to work under or disable the automation.

Now I never get an event that will change the room state. I can move in the room, triggering the motion, and it still stays vacant. I have never had an event since I created the rooms and the first three events trigger (basement bathroom number of button is 8, basement bathroom changed to vacant, basement bathroom button 3 was pushed)

I get these on all of my rooms but nothing ever changes…and it has been 4 days.

I should add, I have not created anything in webcore for these yet. just set up the apps and rooms.

did you install using github? here are the details:

for a github install use : owner: adey / name: bangali / branch: master

UPDATE: updated version 0.05.0 to github with the following changes:

*  Version: 0.05.0
*   DONE:   11/13/2017
*   1) expanded the adjacent room settings. if you specify adjacent rooms you can choose 2 options:
*       i) if there is motion in an adjacent room you can force the current room to check for motion and on no
*           motion change room state to vacant.
*      ii) if there is motion in an adjacent room you can turn on lights in this room if it is currently vacant.
*           this allows for the adjacent rooms feature to be used as a light your pathway can kind of setup.
*   2) some bug fixes.

I had updated a week or so ago and had no success with the rooms changing back to vacant - but the latest version seems to be working perfectly. Thank you!

[DEPRECIATED]....... Post Withdrawn By Author!

i updated the app, child app and DTH. I still do not have any updates to the occupancy of the rooms??

strange. have you tried removing the bathroom and recreating it again? or at least go in to bathroom “room” and save it again. then try first?

looking at the images again the DTH may not have been updated recently … the null at the bottom of the status message should not be there.

please try updating the DTH followed by the 2 smartapps if needed. then go to rooms manager, click the room and check your options then save it and try.

Turn Lights on?
Piston Question: Bathroom Lighting

UPDATE: updated version 0.05.1 to github with the following changes:

*  Version: 0.05.1
*   DONE:   11/15/2017
*   1) added setting to select which days of week this rooms automation should run.

UPDATE: updated version 0.05.5. I added a feature for the asleep state to this app. Now you can add a sleep sensor to see if you’re asleep or not. When you’re asleep and motion is detected it is possible to dim the switches before they go on. This way the lights aren’t so bright when you have to get up in the night. When you go back to bed it’s possible to toggle the lights with a button. Thank you @bangali for letting me in on this little project :smiley:

you are welcome @johhnwilliam … thats what open source projects are for. thank you for your contribution :smiley:

UPDATE: updated version 0.05.7 to github with the following changes:

*  Version: 0.05.7
*   DONE:   11/20/2017
*   1) added support for room busy check.
*   2) added support for arrival and/or departure action when using presence sensor.
*   3) some bug fixes.

UPDATE: updated version 0.05.8 & 0.05.9 to github with the following changes. some from @johhnwilliam and others from me.

if you are using Rooms Occupancy with say wC note that “occupancyStatus” is now called “occupancy”. there is no impact if used from ST app only. sorry for the breaking change.

*  Version: 0.05.9
*   DONE:   11/21/2017
*   1) changed name of 'occupancyStatus' to just 'occupancy' to be consistent with ST.
*   2) added switches to turn on and off when room changes to asleep. switches set to turn on are also turned off
*           when room changes away from asleep.
*   2) some bug fixes.
*  Version: 0.05.8
*   DONE:   11/20/2017
*   1) Changed configuration pages

this is a good idea. let me see if i can add this to rooms occupancy. rooms occupancy currently supports setting the light levels when room is in asleep state and there is motion. but the feature you suggested would need a bit more flexibility than that. will think about it.

thanks for suggesting it.

How would I go about setting the Bathroom to only turn on lights 1% when in Sleep mode. But when in all other Modes, turn on Lights 100%?

Cheers

rooms occupancy has asleep state settings in which you can specify the level settings when there is motion and lights are turned on. if it is not in asleep state it would turn on the lights at the level specified in the main settings for the room.

so if you set the bathroom to asleep using webcore between the times when you want lights to come on at a lower level it would then turn on the lights at that lower level while in that state.

i have a version of rooms occupancy that supports rules driven settings for lights power, level, color and temperature depending on location mode, room state (asleep, engaged or occupied), lux or time window. when lux and/or time is specified the lights will turned on with the settings as specified. also, when lux and time is specified switches will be turned off when lux is higher than the specified value or time is outside of the time window.

if a mode and state is not picked then it acts as a global rule driven only by lux and/or time settings.

@johhnwilliam has been helping me test it. its a bit tricky and without his help i wouldnt have made the progress i have made in a couple of days.

we will probably test it a bit more before putting it out in the wild. if anyone is feeling brave enough ( from turkey dinner high? :wink: ) to give it a try, please ping me. i will prioritize any issues you may run in to to get it working for you. :smiley:

thanks!

heres a preview of lighting rules. this allows for lights to be turned off or on based mode, state, lux, etc. when turning on the lights the level, color and color temperature of the lights can be set as well.

you can even have rules for the vacant state so you can leave a light on in the basement or the nursery even when its “vacant”. :slight_smile:

I seem to have a problem that is likely user error. When I add a range of sunset to sunrise as the time when the motion detector should turn a switch on or off, the room quits working. I still see the motion sensor go active in active in the logs but no switch signal. Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot?