Washer & Drier Notifications

My take on getting notified when the laundry is complete. These pistons use current sensing outlets to trigger notifications.

Washer

Drier

Adding wait after text is spoken Laundry Monitor

Can I ask what type of plugs you are using for monitoring your washer and dryer? Do you need to set a variable or can you just go by the power consumption?

I’m using these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MI5V5N6

The variable is used to prevent short spikes or dips from triggering the notification. I’m using these in a fairly new LG front-loading pair so they both have very irregular power usage second to second both when running and even when you just open them.

I needed the variable so I could track an actual state-change.

Thanks @edalquist, I plan to try this out for my dryer today. Curious to know if you tried to run it without the isRunning variable? I would have thought that the “else if” condition would have been enough?? Please note that I am completely new to all of this (inclduing programming terminology), so just trying to educate myself. TIA.

Edit: I am trying it with a Wemo Insight switch/plug, and a Condensor Dryer which also has non-consistant power draw.

The isRunning variable is needed to track state. Otherwise if you have power go above 30W for one second and then stays below for one minute you get a “done” notification.

You need to set a flag once the device has been running for long enough that you know it is actually on (and not just someone opened a door) then use that on/off flag to decide if the power staying low is it transitioning back from actually running or just back from a short spike.

@edalquist What kind of power switch/outlet are you using for your dryer? I have a dryer w/ 240v supply.
I am assuming that normal ST switch or Iris switch is only 120v.

I linked the switches I use. I have a gas drier so it only requires a standard (in the US) 15A @ 120V outlet.

For a 240v supply you could use one of these https://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=AEONDSB09104 with a power cable that breaks out the three wires into individual shielded conductors and put the clamps around the two hot legs. Then that thing would report current power usage.