Webcore does not use oxford commas

For example, when a conditional statement saves all door locks that are not locked into device list and that device list is then printed as part of a string, it will not use an oxford comma. The message would read, “Mudroom Door, Back Door and Front Door” instead of “Mudroom Door, Back Door, and Front Door”.

An example of my code is here:

Here is a message example:

Thanks!

You could get round it by building the full notification string yourself, but there isn’t a setting to enable the Oxford comma. I guess it comes down to how bothered you are about it, if it really is a problem you’ll have to build the full string yourself.

Of course. I am not bothered by it enough to make changes to my programs as it requires a significant change in approach to a very bounded scripting language. This is why I submitted it as a bug request to have the source code changed as the change would be global and probably simple to implement.

But it’s not a bug, its a grammatical preference.

It’s more than preference

My two cents:
IF the code is changed, PLEASE give us the option of not using the serial comma. (keeping it the way it is) The current way is MUCH more preferred to me.

Depending on the circumstances, that extra comma can actually create ambiguity.

Just out of curiosity, do you have an example? I can only think of times when the last device in the list is guaranteed to be different in type from the rest?

Found an example on Wiki from a book dedication:

To my mother, Ayn Rand, and God

Is Ayn Rand the mother of the Author, or one of 3?

“There are people who embrace the Oxford comma, and people who don’t, and I’ll just say this: never get between these people when drink has been taken.”

– Lynne Truss

Use of the Oxford Comma is definitely a stylistic choice, though I agree one has to be careful about sentence structure whatever the choice. It’s not a bug, and I have a hard time seeing how its use (or lack thereof) is likely to cause misunderstanding in the device list.

Also, I would personally ask that we keep politics off this board.

I meant an example from your musings with webcore.

I would think that a writer with any level of OCD would avoid that and write something a bit cleaner…

“To Ayn Rand, my mother, and to God”, or
“To Ayn Rand, my mother, and to God, my creator”

Because leaving out the comma would make that example even worse.

“To my mother, Ayn Rand and God”

Love it

It’s more than a stylistic choice.
https://www.cnn.com/2017/03/15/health/oxford-comma-maine-court-case-trnd/index.html

Yeah, no politics. I was just trying to use the most extreme examples/memes to prove my case. ;l

I know we (as humans) like to label and define, but I honestly think that that final trailing comma is one of the cases where we should be flexible. For me personally, I leave it out 95% of the time, but there have been a few sparse occasions where I stuck it in to help with clarification.

Thankfully, in the webCoRE cases, it is listing similar things (devices) so the comma can be left out in my opinion.

The article you linked to merely proves my point that one has to be careful about sentence structure when making a stylistic choice. However, since you’re not likely to be persuaded and neither am I, I’ll end my participation in this discussion here. :smile:

What Is the Oxford Comma and Why Do People Care So Much About It?

Good thing there is no alcohol around here, LOL

Moving this to the Feature Suggestions category since it seemed to land at requiring a preference to use or not use the Oxford comma.

Bah!!! … table manners :wink:

It looks like webCoRE does use it but not in all of the code…

LOL

Funny