webCoRE Update v0.3.10a.20190223 - adds $twcweather to replace discontinued $weather, bug fixes

I don’t see a way to get chance of precipitation within the forecast. Am I missing something? This is the most important part of a forecast (to me) but the narrative gives only vague hints like “rain” or “thunderstorms” or doesn’t mention it at all.

For the next 15 days broken down into 12 hour blocks, you can use this:
$twcweather.forecast.daypart[0].precipChance
which currently yields this for me:
[null, 0, 0, 20, 0, 10, 10, 0, 0, 10, 10, 10, 40, 50, 40, 0, 0, 10, 10, 10, 50, 50, 50, 40, 40, 40, 40, 40, 40, 40]

To only pull a single data point, you can add [x] to the end. For example,
$twcweather.forecast.daypart[0].precipChance[3]
pulls tomorrow night only. (using the numbers above, yields 20)

removed this banner . It will no longer appear at the top of every page. #89

Thank you!

I want to trigger action when there is a tornado warning. Is it sufficient to just check alerts[0].eventDescription for “Tornado Warning”? I’m not sure exactly what alerts[1] and so on are - are those previously issued alerts and if so does every alert start at [0] to where checking [0] is indeed sufficient? Or are they multiple alerts that are currently active, such that even alerts above 0 need to be checked?

Hi guys - I had been using weather underground to get the outdoor temp, outdoor humidity and dew point prior to the API being shutdown. I had a piston that ran 4 times an hour and called that API, and set global variables to hold these values. Then from any piston I could just access the values from the global variables, which were kept up to date by the piston, refreshed every 15 minutes.

I see that twcweather has $twcweather.conditions.temperatureDewPoint, $twcweather.conditions.temperature and $twcweather.conditions.relativeHumidity. It looks like I can just reference these in my pistons. It is that easy?

A couple questions though:

1. How do I tell twcweather what my zip code is that I want these readings to come from?

2. How often do these twcweather values get refreshed, and how can I control them to make sure they are updated at least 4 times and hour, maybe more if allowed?

Thanks!

1. It gets your location from your hub, make sure you have dropped the pin on your house in the ST app settings.

2. We don’t know how often they update existing data, but the day / night cycle (where the array for 15 day forecasts moves a notch) updates over a 30 minute window between 1am-1:30am and 1pm-1:30pm ish

Is this still true for you Robin?

My location updates consistently between 3 and 3:30 ish

I haven’t checked for ages and I deleted the test piston.

But ast time I checked it was still 1-1:30

Just a question. Is there any way to get weather alerts like we had with the old weather? I can collect a lot of information from conditions but one function I still can’t replicate is when NWS issues any severe weather notices such as Tornado watches and warnings.

Thanks…

@ipaterson - just curious if any new features …

A newer SmartApp version (v0.3.10c.20190522) is available

This really sucks. I had a webcore piston that checked the {$weather.alerts.alerts.description} variable to announce inclement weather alerts. There is no equivalent with twcweather. Any suggestions for an equivalent service?

@frakman1, Could I possibly have a look at that piston?

Your reply is on an unrelated comment, just noting that $twcweather.conditions.wxPhraseLong (e.g. Mostly Cloudy, Heavy Rain) does not contain severe weather alerts. We have no documentation for what data to expect in $twcweather.alerts but alerts are available. Here are a few replies in this thread related to alerts with some sample data and usage:

My apologies for not locking this thread earlier, it is much more difficult to find information here than if the posts were in meaningful individual topics.

The documentation for “Alerts” is so scarce, I am thinking of creating a logging piston to capture all of my alerts. (and eventually, update the Wiki for all of our benefits)

The only alerts I have seen reference to is:

temp

Can anyone confirm if “$twcweather.alerts” will capture all of the data, or do I need multiple queries to get all the info?

Yeah that would be great! I had to check the wiki before posting that reply to see whether you had already started something like that. This would be a great piston to share with others so that we can crowd source the data.

I think it’s safe to assume that if there are multiple alerts, that expression would include all of them.

$twcweather.alerts Observations

I searched the TWC_Weather Wiki page for the word alerts and it is nowhere to be found. Where are you getting your twcweather information from?

split this topic #104

24 posts were split to a new topic: $twcweather.alerts Observations

@WCmore requested the recent replies related to the alert data mining to be split into a separate thread. Please continue that discussion here:

This release announcement thread will now be locked. Please participate in or create new topics for specific weather-related concerns so that others can more easily find and follow the discussion.

closed #106