Using smartthings button, lifx scenes

1) Give a description of the problem
Using two lifx scenes with the same lights and smartthings button, won’t toggle between scenes when single pressed or double pressed

2) What is the expected behaviour?
Single press turns lifx scene to scene 1 and double press turns lifx scene to scene 2

3) What is happening/not happening?
All other bulbs in automation are doing what is expected, but when button is toggled between single push or double push, the lifx scene will not toggle to the one I want it to toggle to. Stays the same as previous scene

**4) Post a Green Snapshot of the piston!

5) Attach logs after turning logging level to Full
(PASTE YOUR LOGS HERE THEN HIGHLIGHT ALL OF THE LOGS AND CLICK ON THE </> ICON TO FORMAT THEM CORRECTLY)

REMOVE BELOW AFTER READING
If a solution is found for your question then please mark the post as the solution.

Feature Request: LIFX Morph & Flame method effects

Posting your logs set to Full during an error, and a green snapshot with Trace turned on, is essential to troubleshooting this…

Ok sorry I am new to webcore, I thought maybe someone might have had this problem and knew what I was doing wrong.

I never used Lifex scenes but I’m curious, I believe you can see the bulbs in Webcore correct?
IF YES, what is that ACTIVATE LIFEX SCENE is doing in your house>?

Yes I can see each individual bulb, but instead of triggering each individual bulb I have a scene set to where those 4 bulbs are together in a scene and it triggers that scene.

I would highly recommend leaving all the automation to webcore.
Cross platform automations tend to make things complicated and fail.
If you want I can TRY to help creating the whole thing in Webcore (TRY is the key word:))))

The piston you’ve posted only checks for button pushed and then only does the LIFX scene and the Hue Go, Mirror Light Hue, Mirror Light Hue (again), and Master Bathroom Chandelier.
I imagine there’s another piston looking for the double-press and doing the other scene and light settings. Is that the case?
Also, I’d agree with ike2018 that you simplify things by doing the automation through webCoRE unless you’re using this scene through LIFX.

Yes you are correct double press is looking for other scene but when I double press it stays on scene for single press…if I pause or delete this automation they work fairly well and I’m also trying to figure out how to use the toggle task correctly as well…I want the piston to turn off when double or single pressed again. Just need a little guidance because I’m new to webcore.

Sorry I didn’t post other piston but it is very similar except with double pushed button

If you want you can try, new to webcore lol just trying to learn as much as I can

Ok then pls tell me what is it that you want to happen in the bathroom in real life. All lights, motion sensors, buttons included.
ie : I want to push the button and lights to be this and that etc.

Not really a scene, but I have LIFX bulbs in the kids rooms. I trigger them all to ‘breathe’ every couple of mins while reading to the kids before bed.

I had all kinds of issues with running the controls directly from webcore (such as lights stopping on random brightness, both rooms out of sync, partial dim breaths etc etc.

In the end, the best result came from by way of a virtual switch that triggers webhook to IFTTT to run the breathe in LIFX app. I use another piston to run the timer etc (run webhook, wait 4mins, run webhook, wait 3 mins etc etc).

I use a hue tap to trigger the go (and simple toggle on/off of each room).

Other than the extra delay, it works flawlessly. Both rooms in sync, no strange fast/slow flashes and no random stopping on strange brightness.

Thanks for the feedback, I switched the piston up to instead of run the lifx scene I got it to trigger that group of bulbs to the specified color and level I want and it works much better, I’m able to use the smartthings button to trigger the colors I want whether it be with single push or double push. For some reason when I would trigger the scenes it wouldn’t switched the scene to the one I wanted.

I am just going to throw this out here…

I found the smartthings->LIFX response time to be rather slow. I went the LIFX API route. Created an API token, got my device and group IDs through their documentation, and built a piston that call their API directly.

Web request set up like this, using Bearer yourAPIkey.

The LIFX API documentation is incredible. You read about it, send a test directly from the documentation page to your lights, it’ll show you how the request is to be formatted, you can see the response, and tweak it until you are sending exactly command you want.

Start with “list lights” click the green key button, enter your API token, and you’ll get back the list of all your device and group IDs. Then explore from there!

Jason

LIFX Strip piston
LIFX Strip piston

I will have to try this, and yes smartthings to lifx is extremely slow. Thank you so much I’m still new to webcore so I love to learn new things. Are you familiar with the toggle task using a smartthings button, I want to be able to single press on then single press off as well, like its use in the smartlighting app in smartthings.

The API has a toggle.

Turn off lights if any of them are on, or turn them on if they are all off. All lights matched by the selector will share the same power state after this action.

I am not sure you could toggle an effect on or off, though. If it was a fixed color then you’d be fine.

What you probably need to do is manage it all in Webcore. Have the piston set a variable “IsItOn”.

If IsItOn is false
         call the API to turn on or set effect
         set variable IsItOn to true
  else
          call the API to turn off
          set variable IsItOn to False

Would you happen to have an example piston for this…so I can see exactly how my piston needs to look?

i know its been a while since we visited this, but im having trouble getting effects and scenes to work using the API for some reason it just wont work, do i have to enter my api token in again into the make a web request box like above?

Yes, your API key goes after the Bearer authorization header (in place of the xxxxxxxx in the screen shot above).

Start simple with a toggle. Once you know it’s working, then work on effects. And the API documentation from LIFX will help you pass the variables correctly.